My waxbill birdroom

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

My waxbill birdroom

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi peeps,

Just an up date of me new waxbill birdroom, been very busy over the last few weeks when money allows in constructing the shed, the shed when I started from scratch had no window so cut a hole in the brick work and placed a large window in the front,

I've also built two concrete pillars inside eaither side of the window for two reasons, 1 to strengthen the front wall more and aslo 2 more importantly have extra support for the concrete roof.

The original floor is concrete but was level with the outside path and although it never leaked rain under the door I didn't want to take any chances so I used a proper quality damp proof membrane on the floor and placed and fitted concrete blocks across the floor to make the level of floor now 4 inches higher, I've then also fitted 3/4" ply board on top of this which will then have Lino/Vinal layed and secured across the floor.

Earlier this week I've now fitted 3/4" ply board around the interior walls and started to block in the concrete pillars,

At a later stage I intend to clad all of the front of the shed to cover up all of the old brick work and also strip all the paint off of the door and go back to preserving and staining the door to match with the wooden cladding,

Me shed at last is now starting to take shape :mrgreen: there's still loads more to do like me electrics, worktop space and most importantly the start of me cage building,

All of me cages will be built with quality metal punch bar fronts, there gonna no doubt set me back a few hundred pounds but will be definitely worth it because these fronts will last a life time and the cages themselves will be made from finished birch ply :D

Got loads more to do but keeps me busy when I get time to meself and when money allows :mrgreen:

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: My waxbill birdroom

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:54 pm

Sounds like quite a project! I envy those who are handy and can do the work themselves. I am not, though I do try sometimes, since I can't afford to pay contractors to come in. Please keep us updated with your progress!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:05 am

Sally wrote: Sounds like quite a project! I envy those who are handy and can do the work themselves. I am not, though I do try sometimes, since I can't afford to pay contractors to come in. Please keep us updated with your progress!
Hi Sally,

It's only where I've learnt and told meself over the years,

I'm actually a semi retired tree surgeon, as I care for my wife most of the time now,

I can pretty much put my hand to anything really although I don't like working with brick work, much better and happier working with wood :mrgreen:

I'll keep posting as I'm progressing with me birdroom :D

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:40 am

Another pic taken this morning :mrgreen:

Now the window is in position I'll finish of boarding inside the room etc and am soon gonna concentrate on fitting some wooden cladding on the front of me shed to cover up the old brick work and then with the door paint stripped and stained will match with the cladding :D

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 pm

That is lovely.
How cold does it get there - are you putting heat in?
I would like to have an outdoor space eventually but it would probably need heat - it can get to minus 15 C here in the winter

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:42 am

Vera wrote: That is lovely.
How cold does it get there - are you putting heat in?
I would like to have an outdoor space eventually but it would probably need heat - it can get to minus 15 C here in the winter
Hi Vera,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes it can get a little cold here in the uk but the last few years it appears that our winters have been somewhat getting a bit warmer,

I'm gonna see how it goes throughout the winter, ideally if I can get away with not having to provide any heat then so much the better,

This coming winter will be the first winter I'll be using me birdroom for me birds and will be trial and error so to speak,

I've insulated me shed really well to the best of me ability and feel that this could be OK, also the shed is only 9 x 5 ( feet ) inside so is not a huge space to keep the birds away from the cold elements :mrgreen:

However I will be having lighting in me shed for any dull days that we get and more importantly the long dark winter nights that we have, this will enable the birds to feed for longer hrs which is definitely necessary :mrgreen:

I think it's also gonna depend on exactly what species I intend to keep, some are quite adaptable whereas others are obviously a bit more demanding and sensitive to conditions

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi Stuart very nice bird room, quite a project. I love the way the window looks from outside the building. Very nice job ! =D>
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:50 pm

lem2bert wrote: Hi Stuart very nice bird room, quite a project. I love the way the window looks from outside the building. Very nice job ! =D>
Cheers mate, hopefully once I've cladded the front wall and paint stripped n stained the door it should look better :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi peeps,

Done some more to me waxbill room today,

I decided to take out the screws that held the hinges on the door and then drilled through the hardwood door and replaced with bolts and locking nuts,

I've also done a couple of coats of quick dry white paint on the inside of the door and then after cutting to size I then fitted a clear polycarbonate roofing sheet to the inside of the door,

I've done this for couple of reasons being A) it helps strengthen the glass panelled door and B) more importantly acts as a secondary glazing and helps insulate for during the winter :mrgreen:
image.jpeg

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Very nice!!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Shannylee wrote: Very nice!!
Cheers Sharon,

Still got plenty more to do but I'll get there,

Gonna start building me cages very soon and is surely gonna take me some time :-BD

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Well I've done some more to me new waxbill room over the last couple of days,

I was initially gonna use cladding on the front of me room but this wasn't really the thickness and quality that I was after so I aborted that idea and then decided to get a dozen 4.8 mtr lengths of decking which was a lot thicker and stronger and will last a lot longer :mrgreen:

I've now fitted this to the front of me birdroom for neatness and aslo acts as an insulator over the wall as there is also 3/4" ply board that is lined on the interior of the walls aswell.

I've got some paint stripper and over the next few days I will be stripping the paint off of the door on the outside, this is a hard wood door and is going to stained with like a dark teak stainer and protector,

The exterior walls will also be stained dark teak aswell,

Still got loads more to do and then it's building me indoor flights and cages in birdroom :-BD
image.jpeg
Speak soon

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:10 am

Wow Stuart !!! Love the way the decking looks. It looks like a lot of work, but it is coming along nicely !!! =D> I enjoy seeing you're updates on you're bird room. Cannot wait to see the next update. :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

neojinnx
Pip
Pip

Post by neojinnx » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:27 am

So impressive, Stuart! You've done so much work, great job!

Just out of curiosity, how many birds to plan on housing here?

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:11 pm

lem2bert cheers mate :mrgreen:

Yes it certainly is a lot of if work , I've been working on me birdroom now for the last couple of months when money allows,

When I first started the building was just basically a shell with no window,,

I've nearly finished the overall construction of the room, probably within the next couple of weeks but then I'll probably be another month or two in building a couple of indoor fights and also all of me cages which I custom build meself :-BD

A fair bit of money and time spent on it but will be well worth the effort \:D/