My waxbill birdroom

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: My waxbill birdroom

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:21 am

Vera wrote: That is just lovely! I wish I had one! Your birds will love it
Thank you Vera, I certainly hope they will like it, spent enough on it so far and still gotta properly fit it all out inside yet :thumbup:

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 am

Stuart whiting

Its looking good! The outside looks cozy! Potted plants are a grea touch =D>

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:06 am

Babs wrote: Stuart whiting

Its looking good! The outside looks cozy! Potted plants are a grea touch =D>
Cheers Babs, there's still a few little extras to go on the front of the room IE like I've got some real quality flat bird shape ornaments / plaques of Fishers lovebirds and also Toco toucans that have gotta go up on the front wall at each end along with a few othe bits,

All takes time but I'll get there :-BD

LiverpoolLayers
Pip
Pip

Post by LiverpoolLayers » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Looks really good that mate. I spent a fortune on a wooden shed at the end of the garden and a large aviary. I had to have sockets put in the bird room and that cost a fortune as it's a fair distance to run the cable from mains. I needed sockets because I had to put heaters in, as you know our winters get cold. The problem with my shed is the felt roof. When unbroken sunlight hits the roof it gets very hot inside and I have to turn fans on and/or open the door. In hindesight with the money I've spent I may have been better going for a brick structure similar to yours. It will be good to see what yours looks like once you've installed the cages.
Strawberry finch, parsons finch, Green singer, cordon bleus, Gouldians, St Helena waxbills, Diamond Fire tails, owl finches, cut throats, parrot finches, zebra's, spice finch, hecks finch, bengelese finch, peach faced love birds, masked lovebirds, canaries, Java's, Bullfinch, Goldfinch and a pair of mandarin ducks

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 am

LiverpoolLayers wrote: Looks really good that mate. I spent a fortune on a wooden shed at the end of the garden and a large aviary. I had to have sockets put in the bird room and that cost a fortune as it's a fair distance to run the cable from mains. I needed sockets because I had to put heaters in, as you know our winters get cold. The problem with my shed is the felt roof. When unbroken sunlight hits the roof it gets very hot inside and I have to turn fans on and/or open the door. In hindesight with the money I've spent I may have been better going for a brick structure similar to yours. It will be good to see what yours looks like once you've installed the cages.
Hi there fella,

Nice to here from another UK bird keeper :mrgreen:

Yea mate I think in the long run that brick is gonna be more beneficial for me as if you've read through the whole of me thread you'll see that I've insulated the interior with 3/4 " ply boards flush to the wall and also used thick decking on the exterior walls and is now a realy sound structure that will definitely hold more warmth throughout the winter months,
The door is single glazed but I've now put a sheet of polycarbonate roofing panel on the interior side of the door for insulation aswell,

The idea is that I don't really wanna have to supply heat in the birdroom during the winter unless it's really essential but rekon that I'll get away with out none because the room is insulated very well,

I'll never have problems with the roof and have to change felt every so often because the roof is solid concrete :D

Speak soon

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Stuart whiting

Looks great, Stuart!! Glad you're back :)
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Stuart whiting

Glad to see you back !! :D . The bird room looks great from the outside. I love the way the potted plants look and the curtains in the window make it look like a cozy little cottage. :) Can't wait to see the next update !!! :D
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:11 am

Shannylee@lem2bert

Cheers peeps :D

Thank you for the warm welcome back, yep I've still got loads to do inside me birdroom but it's all down to time and especially money,

We don't get much for nothing these days and when it comes to fitting out me birdroom i won't be doing it by halves as to me it's gotta be fitted properly :-BD

I'll put up more updates later on as I progress

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 am

Stuart whiting

So what's next on the agenda Stuart?

How are your birds doing by the way? Any news, babies, pictures? Would love to see some of them.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: My Australian finch birdroom

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:43 am

Hi there peeps,

I've now virtually finished me new birdroom and with just a few finishing touches to do and hope as soon as me birds are moulted out they'll soon be moved into the new room :-BD

Has taken me a long time in the making IE over 1 year from scratch when time and money allowed but was definitely worth it \:D/
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:06 am

Stuart whiting

Welcome back Stuart! So nice to see the place all coming together finally! It looks great!

You even have electricity hooked up! Wow! Think maybe you can hang out for a while now? ;)

I missed having you around!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 am

Stuart whiting

Looking good.

Are those little storage cabinets on the right hand side?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 am

Stuart whiting

Hi Stuart, glad to see you back !! :D Your waxbill room looks great !! It may have taken you a year to complete but it is better to have it the way you like than to have to keep doing it over. I love it =D>
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Babs wrote: Stuart whiting

Welcome back Stuart! So nice to see the place all coming together finally! It looks great!

You even have electricity hooked up! Wow! Think maybe you can hang out for a while now? ;)

I missed having you around!
Cheers Babs,

Yea I've got electric running out to the birdroom as it powers me upright fridge freezer which I use to keep all of me soak seed and mixed up soft foods in etc aswell as any live food that I may want to freeze IE maggots,

I've also got 2 lights rigged up on a shelf above me birdroom window, 1 is a 40 watt bulb for in the evening etc when I want to allow the birds to carry on feeding for a little longer than normal daylight hrs etc and the other light is me night light which has a 20 watt bulb in and I actually leave this on all of the time day and night,

Then I've got me clock radio also on the shelf situated between the 2 lights, gotta have some music in there for me and the birds :-BD

Missed you too Babs ;;)

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:35 pm

lovezebs wrote: Stuart whiting

Looking good.

Are those little storage cabinets on the right hand side?
Cheers Elana,

Yea they are actually just built in shelves, when constructing the room you can probably see the work top that me cages are built on top of, well underneath the work top are a series of concrete block pillars that had then been boxed in with 3/4 inch thick ply board around the pillars for neatness, in between I then decided to fit 3 shelves where I could then put plastic storage boxes on each shelf,

the idea behind this is so if I ever did happen to get an unwanted intruder ( little squeaky thing with 4 legs ) into me birdroom I can instantly see for any signs aswell as being nowhere for any little squeaky' to hide on the floor :thumbup: