Quail and finch

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Gráinne Barrett
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Quail and finch

Post by Gráinne Barrett » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 am

My quails have been housed with various types of finches for the past half a year or so and I've never really had much problems. However, I noticed one picking a young zebra this morning and I was wondering is there any solutions to this?
Gráinne

Gráinne Barrett
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Quail and finch

Post by Gráinne Barrett » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 am

Also, they don't seem to challenge adult finches
Gráinne

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:31 am

Yea mate it would all make sence in what you've just described,

The quail would hardly get the chance to have a go at an adult finch because there obviously gonna be a lot quicker and wiser,

However the young zebras are not really gonna be clued up to this kind of activity and are probably still quite docile / unaware of anything and probably can't really manoeuvre quick enough,

If these are the larger common Japanese quail and they consistently continue to peck at the youngsters I'd take the quail out and put somewhere else,

If the quail are the small Chinese painted then I don't really think there'll be to much of a problem but again if becoming a nuisance I'd then remove the quail no mater what,

You certainly don't want to risk upsetting or even losing any of yer young finches :roll:

ALittleBirdKeeper
Pip
Pip

Post by ALittleBirdKeeper » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:05 pm

There's not really a trick to avoid it, as Stuart said, the adults know to fly off. My chinese will end up killing any that have fallen/been flung if I don't find them in time because I guess they seem like big moths or some mutant worm to eat. Hopefully the little dude will be balancing on a perch by tomorrow, if they aren't really digging into him. If he's still on the floor after a couple of days, to be honest he probably wont survive in the long run generally - none of mine who spend that long down there without it being related to a damaged flight feather do, and even when you can tell they left a few days early, they always leap back out the same day if you pop them back in ... and its a big fall every time :(

I'd say try and have him step onto a perch or a ledge of some sort to keep him out of reach of the bullies for now and hope he gets a bit stronger as the day goes on. If the option to temporarily move the quail is there do that too just as a precaution. Fingers crossed!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:05 pm

ALittleBirdKeeper wrote: There's not really a trick to avoid it, as Stuart said, the adults know to fly off. My chinese will end up killing any that have fallen/been flung if I don't find them in time because I guess they seem like big moths or some mutant worm to eat. Hopefully the little dude will be balancing on a perch by tomorrow, if they aren't really digging into him. If he's still on the floor after a couple of days, to be honest he probably wont survive in the long run generally - none of mine who spend that long down there without it being related to a damaged flight feather do, and even when you can tell they left a few days early, they always leap back out the same day if you pop them back in ... and its a big fall every time :(

I'd say try and have him step onto a perch or a ledge of some sort to keep him out of reach of the bullies for now and hope he gets a bit stronger as the day goes on. If the option to temporarily move the quail is there do that too just as a precaution. Fingers crossed!
Quite agree, well said :D