Bird Cage Paint

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Neighbor Boy
Pip
Pip

Bird Cage Paint

Post by Neighbor Boy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Hey, guys.
So I'm pretty much finished building my cage and I think my final step is to paint it. I used galvanized hardware cloth to build it. Some sources say this is bad for birds because if they ingest the pieces of zinc they could get heavy metal poisoning. At first, I was going to leave the cage as is because other sources say that the danger of a finch ingesting the zinc is low, but I've decided now to neutralize the risk as best I can. I'm going to do this by wire brushing the cage down to get off the bigger chunks, going over it all with a vinegar/water solution, letting it sun dry (maybe repeating steps 2 and 3), then painting it with bird-safe paint. I'll do steps 1-3 tomorrow probably, but I still need to buy the paint. I'm going to use black because people say that makes the birds stand out. I was going to buy ECOS Pet Dwellings paint because they claim that it's almost ideal for painting bird cages, but it's $30 a quart! :( I could have just gone ahead and bought the expensive stainless steal hardware cloth and I wouldn't even have to paint. I didn't reeeally budget this whole project out before I started and now the numbers are starting to feel like they're adding up.
tldr: Does anyone know any good paint that's safe for painting bird cages?

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Bird Cage Paint

Post by ann » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:57 pm

Almost every paint made today is low VOC and can be used for cages. The ratings are on the labels. If you're concerned about the risk, just let your cage sit without birds in it for a week or two after you paint it. As for the metal, I've had a cage I made with galvanized hardware cloth for over 20 years, and every bird it has ever housed has passed away from old age.

The paint that was manufactured 20 or even 10 years ago is nothing like the paint today.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:01 am

You are planning to keep finches, not parrots, and finches are not going to be chewing on the wires. So I really don't think you need to worry about this too much!

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:16 pm

w.l. wrote: You are planning to keep finches, not parrots, and finches are not going to be chewing on the wires. So I really don't think you need to worry about this too much!
Quite agree :D