How to capture bird in large aviary???

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: How to capture bird in large aviary???

Post by GouldieFledge » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Stuart whiting wrote:
w.l. wrote: I am quite surprised by all the suggestions of catching the bird at night!
Is it just my birds that are totally freaked out if disturbed by night, flying around crazily with a very good chance of injuring themselves in the dark? And that can happen if they just spot torchlight or movements outside the aviary!
I'd never, ever, consider doing this.

To me the very obvious solution to catch just one bird in an aviary is using a trap cage. Any small cage with door at floor level will do.
Put the food inside and wait till the wanted bird enters - it should not take too long. This way you avoid disturbing the others.
Absolutely agree :-BD

can't understand when others seem to think it's perfectly OK to catch birds in the pitch black,

Yea admitingly it's easy to do this but clearly not thinking of the birds,

I've seen birds actually die in the hand of heart failure when this has been practiced :-O thankfully not my birds,

There are loads of ways in catching and trapping birds in large avaires and just boils down to basic common sence,

it has already been mentioned on this thread about how to screen off one end or corner of the aviary for easy capture, it's not rocket science :roll:
@Shannylee
I actually find the "dark" method to be the safest and least stressful for the birds, if done correctly. I don't wait until it's night time, when the birds have settled in and are well into sleeping, because yes, I could definitely see that causing heart failure and stressing all the birds to the max.

What I do is locate the bird I want to grab in my flight so I know exactly where it is, then immediately shut off all the lights except for one in the distance/background (my LED's are connected to one switch). I can see enough to know what I'm doing, but the sudden change in lighting causes the birds to freeze since they can't gauge their surroundings. From here I quickly walk over to the flight, quietly open the door, grab wanted bird & shut door, then immediately turn the lights back on. This has been the easiest way/caused the least amount of stress in my experience. I'm not sure if this will work for you based on your walk-in aviary and lighting situation, but figured I'd share my method.

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:03 pm

GouldieFledge, thank you!

I have actually tried the dark method. After the birds bedded down for the evening, I went in and put my hand over the hole of the basket nest and walked out with 5 society finches with no trouble at all. It wasn't completely dark but societies go to bed early. LOL! I haven't tried it with a perched bird yet. Netting...that was chaos!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by GouldieFledge » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:49 pm

GouldieFledge, thank you!

I have actually tried the dark method. After the birds bedded down for the evening, I went in and put my hand over the hole of the basket nest and walked out with 5 society finches with no trouble at all. It wasn't completely dark but societies go to bed early. LOL! I haven't tried it with a perched bird yet. Netting...that was chaos!
HAHA, I had to do the same thing with 2 of my boys that didn't want to come back after free-flight! They both took it upon themselves to shack up for the evening in a nest that was hanging on the outside of the cage...I had to cover the opening with my hand and basically shake them out because they wouldn't budge! Lol

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:20 pm

GouldieFledge, I've had all of the "free flight" that I can handle this week. LOL!!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!