Birch in cage?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Birch in cage?

Post by camorrow » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:52 am

I'm trying to offer some enrichment as well as separation space for my finches. I've put a Zebra plant and a type of Fern in there already, and they were immediately fascinated. They definitely DO chew on them.

There's a European White Birch tree near me, and that type of tree has almost vine like branches. They're very thin and droop, with alternating leaves. I'd like to try hanging them from the top of the cage. I've been looking at various lists, and Birch is listed as safe on most, but there's also a note about potential hemolytic properties. Has anyone used Birch in their cages or aviaries? True branches for perches vs the vine like branches (I believe that's unique to the European White)?

I live in a very small town that is an hour and a half from a reasonably sized one, so my access to variety is limited. We don't have a nursery here, and the other types of ivy/vines I've found on the safe lists don't seem to be around here.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Birch in cage?

Post by Sally » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:38 am

Birch is listed as safe at www.finchinfo.com. Is the site that says birch has hemolytic properties one that is aimed more at hookbills? What is safe for finches can be different for hookbills, since they chew wood--a lot! We don't have that problem with finches, and so we can use many more plants in our cages/aviaries. With your Zebra plant and fern, finches chew on leaves/flowers rather than the stems/branches of plants. I personally would go ahead and use the birch, it sounds like it would make wonderful perches, and we'd love to see photos of it.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi there,

Firstly I'm a semi retired tree surgeon and have dealt with this tree virtually on a daily basis for a good number of years and is perfectly safe for birds,

Secondly I've also used this for all of my British finches especially redpolls and Siskins because they cling upside down and feed on the seeds, I've used this in my avaires now for some 30 odd years and never had any problems :-BD

camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by camorrow » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:53 pm

Fantastic, thank you! It's especially good to know that someone has first hand experience using it. Their new cage just arrived today, so I'll add the birch once it's all set up.

Stuart, you said the finches chew on/eat the seed/come/fruit that's at the end of the branches? I had planned to remove them, but if that's safe too, all the better.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Yea mate, can't see that being a problem, my redpolls, Siskins and also me goldfinches all have eaten the seeds for years with no ill affects,

Over her in England during the winter months you'd be amazed at how many large flocks of redpolls and Siskins group together all in the one area to feed on theses birch seeds,

I've seen well over 60-70 birds on the birch trees all flitting through the trees and hanging upside down feeding on the seeds

Birch and alder trees are the main group of trees where you'll see redpolls and Siskins anywhere in southern England during the winter as a lot of birds migrate south from the north of England, Scotland and Northern Europe :-BD

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:07 am

I have also used birch in my outdoor aviary - it was actually a young living tree in a large pot. At the time I had European goldfinches, red hooded siskins, yellow black headed siskins and canaries and they all loved to nibble on the birch leaves and seeds and climb around in the branches. Also had good luck with different kinds of eucalyptus branches and pine boughs (my owl and strawberry finches built very well hidden nests in them).
Good luck, Iso