Aviary/cage plants' soil

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
camorrow
Hatchling
Hatchling

Aviary/cage plants' soil

Post by camorrow » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 pm

What do most folks use to repot and/or plant things in their aviaries? I've seen a lot about not using fertilizer and such, but I've been having trouble finding just plain old "soil". I'm honestly not much of a plant person, so this is probably obvious to most people...not me.

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: Aviary/cage plants' soil

Post by Shannylee » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:49 pm

camorrow, I have Christmas cactus, ferns, a podocarpus bush, and a weeping fig tree in my aviary. The birds chew the ferns and the Christmas cactus but not the other plants. I found organic potting soil at Lowe's for the ones in pots. I don't use fertilizer at all in the aviary but when I change out the poopy bath water, I use it to water the plants. Free fertilizer!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Aviary/cage plants' soil

Post by Sheather » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:03 am

You can use anything organic.
Container plants will do better with potting mix (lightweight, made with peat moss and wood chips and such) rather than potting soil (thick, wet dirt). Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot all carry potting mix for a few dollars.
~Dylan

~~~