Bought a huge new cage, now what to put in it?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Bought a huge new cage, now what to put in it?

Post by Nerine » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:49 am

I ordered a new cage, and it measures 30x18x55 inches high.

I currently have 19 birds in 11 smaller cages. I am trying to decide which birds to put in this cage-I am finding that cleaning 11 cages ( in five different rooms) every other day and all the extra vacuuming is getting a bit much....is maintenance much easier keeping birds in a couple of larger cages?

Any advice regarding which of my birds can be housed together is greatly appreciated...I am not planning on breeding.
Attachments
New cage!
New cage!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Bought a huge new cage, now what to put in it?

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:10 am

Nerine

Finches fly side to side. So in that cage they will spend most of their time in the top 1/3 of the cage. If I had a cage like that I would place it sideways (if you can). That would give them 55 inches flight room. I have a 6 foot wide flight cage. It can comfortably house 8 finches, But I really like my birds to have space.

I dont own zebras and I am cautious about telling anyone to house another species with them ( due to their aggression). I believe you can house your societies and singers together comfortably in that cage. I would say to not house any of your other birds with them.

Some people can pull off having zebras in a community cage with other species. Hopefully someone can chime in for advice on that one.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Nerine, I am not sure which birds will get along in one cage sorry . I wanted to comment on what a nice flight cage that is !!! I like babs suggestion to turn it on its side. They have long work surface tables at my local walmart, that are like card tables. I you turn it and put it on something like that it would be very easy to clean the table top because it is washable. Just a thought. I hope someone can help you figure out which birds can live peacefully . I totally agree with you that would be much easier than cleaning that many small cages !!!!
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:22 pm

Nerine Mmm...bit awkward really as everyone is different in how and what they keep together but the only safe jester I can say is to eaither keep the 4 society finches or the 4 budgies together providing they've already been used to being together,

The green singers could be ok with the society finches but are known for being a bit boystress especially when they come into breeding condition.

Whatever you decide I hope yer birds like there new cage,

Incidentally as Babs has aslo mentioned I'd also try to put the cage sideways as this will give better flying space :-BD

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Nerine
I have that exact cage. Before I had my outdoor aviary, using it indoors, I turned it on it's side and set it on a coffee table that I was not using. I lined the bottom of the cage with newspaper and let the side of the paper turn up on the sides so it kept seed hulls inside. That particular cage has a lot of doors, so I used twist ties on the entries I didn't use and I purchased a pack of cute "dragon fly" clips that are used for orchids to clip the doors I used most often securely closed. These made it a quick, easy way to open the doors I need to get open to add seed or water but also quite secure when closed.

Hope you find a way to set this cage on it's side and utilize the length for your birds flight. I set a fluorescent light on the top and greenery and nests and it turned out quite beautiful. Good luck and enjoy the fun of decorating! Post photos so we can see your beautiful results!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:59 am

to much hight for finches ,if you i'll put there the budgies . also very interesting ideas from members =D>