Aviary door--swing in or swing out?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Aviary door--swing in or swing out?

Post by Dave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:04 am

I could use some opinions here. I'm building a 6' x 16' walk-in aviary in my garage. The door is the next step.

Should an aviary door swing into the aviary, or swing outward from the aviary?

An inward door seems like it might discourage escapees. But, it means a bit of space has to be left clear inside the aviary.

An outward swinging door might encourage escapees.

The aviary is in a building, so there is a level of protection there if a bird does escape.

A sliding door is possible, but more expense due to the hardward.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Dave
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Aviary door--swing in or swing out?

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:52 am

Hi there fella,

To be onest I'd always have the door swing inwards if the flight is quite large IE the size you've stated and also for the very same reason as you've just described about possibly less chance of escapees :mrgreen:

However I'd only have the door open outwards if the flight was quite small say for 1 pair of birds IE 6' x 3' ( feet ) or smaller

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi Dave,

I have two walk-in doors. Both swing out for the interior space consideration you mentioned. The escapee situation was solved with a split nylon screen (black) hanging from the inside that is held together in the middle with magnets sewn into the fabric. I bought these screens pre-fit to the door size from my local hardware store for about $30 each. The doors themselves were much more elaborate since I needed to consider security, wind and rain protection, ventilation in summer and maximum daylight.
2. Front Entrance Door.JPG
The lockable pre-fab glass patio doors have a stainless handle mechanism and heavy duty aluminum frames painted white. The upper half is a vertical slider with a screen that follows the window when opening for ventilation. The doors also have an inside closer so they shut tight and latch automatically.

You can do that fairly cheap with a door closing spring at the top of your door. I have a 4x4x7' quarantine cage in my garage that has a screen door opening out with a safety split screen and a spring closer like that. This year I put the whole thing on a 1/2" platform with large castors for easy cleaning all around and an occasional roll outside to the sunshine.

Fun building these things for the birds. Mine took years of trial and error to get it right and I'm still making adjustments. Good luck with whatever type door you choose.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:19 pm

Goof gawd!!! I'm salivating over here!!! 500sq ft?!?!!?!?! That a studio apartment...and full of birdies!!!!! Whooooohoo!!!!! I'm coming over!!!!!! =D>
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks, Stuart and Paul. Extra opinions and ideas always help!

I have enough room for an inward-swinging door, so I'll do that.

I've hung a shower curtain over a out-swinging doorway before. When the regular door opened, the shower curtain blocked the light and I could slip inside. Birds fly toward light, so if the doorway is dark they seem to ignore it.

I didn't like that idea as much--I sometimes got hung up in the shower curtain myself. I'm sure the birds were laughing.

A friend of mine hung a 1968-type hippie beaded curtain over a doorway, and the birds never seemed to escape. However, it might have been the patchouli in the outer room that kept them contained. :)
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Dave ok mate, hope you manage to work out the best option for yerself,

End of the day I believe it's often down to the individual on how they choose to design their cages and avaires, it's all personal opinions :mrgreen:

I'm a semi retired tree surgeon by trade but am now a carer for me wife but for a good number of years I used to actually custom build avaires, birdrooms, sheds and workshops and you'd be amazed at the amount of different opinions I was faced with that I had to design and then build,

Incidentally I'm currently re-constructing me waxbill room now and put a pic up on the gallery, still got loads to do :mrgreen:

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Hey Madcat,
Welcome to come by on your next visit out west. I have three observation areas that are so cool that some film students from SF State would like to do a documentary about the place.
23 species, over 200 very happy birds in a semi-natural habitat.
Fun stuff!
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:49 pm

My outdoor aviary doors swing out but my smarties are starting to figure out the door and will fly at it when I open it to walk out. I have always (picture it) walked out waving my hands above my head so no birds fly out. I have one of those magnetic screen doors that I haven't (and should) installed. My flight cage has doors that open inwards.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Paul are u kiddin me?!?! Wow!! You must have s website or something. I need to see more pics of your amazing aviary!!!!!!
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl