Weather

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Weather

Post by cindy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:19 pm

they just updated the path..may come in above Tallahassee instead, it shifted a bit north.... things can change...like it did for Hurricane Charlie, was to come in over Tampa but shifted and came in over Ft Myers and south of Tampa.

We will still get the bands and wind though for the next 48-72 hours areas have flooding, tornadoes.... winds

We are also under a hurricane watch.... Pasco County and North.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:39 pm

cindy, that's exactly why we don't board up sooner than the day before. I was born in FL so have 50+ years of hurricane experience. After that nonsense in 2004 with back-to-back hurricanes, we were THIS (fingers close together) close to moving out of FL. :lol: We'll see what the projections are in the morning and act accordingly. Even if we don't get a direct NE wind hit, we will still board up the aviary. We'll still get the bands with very gusty winds.

Stuart, my other concern with enclosing the aviary is the moisture. It is not only hot here, our humidity is through the roof. It just sounds like a breeding ground for lots of bad stuff. :( Wonder how my husband would feel about turning a bedroom into a bird room. :shock:
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:21 pm

I have two x-bedrooms now birdrooms, one has a walk-in aviary in it...... The girls are grown and the rooms sat empty, could not have an outdoor one here so we use the two rooms.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:08 pm

cindy, my husband is not a willing participant. He might have to go. LOL!!! j/k
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:07 am

Shannylee

Tell hubby he can sleep in the aviary in the rain. :wave: **snicker**

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:26 am

Babs, LOL! When he and I first started dating, he "didn't like dogs". After a few comments, I finally told him "If you make me choose between you or the dog, I promise you that you will not like the outcome!" :-H
~Sharon

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:11 am

Shannylee

Hee hee! Bill had a FIT when I bought our pitbull 7 years ago. Now that dog is completely "his woman". I call her his "wife". Dog wont even let me talk to him without leaping into his lap and smooshing her face up against him in an attempt to make him stop talking to me.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:49 pm

Shannylee

Mmm....wouldn't of onestly thought you'd get that much moisture, I've been using flights like I've explained for over 30 years with not a single problem, some times those humidity levels can actually help with breeding at times :mrgreen:
If it's to hot and dry all you end up with is eggs that become dead in shell where the air is so hot and dry,
So sometimes during the summer if there is a little moisture it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing :mrgreen:

Incidentally having a birdroom indoors is absolutely fine , in my other house before I moved about 4 years ago just down the rd I had me birdroom upstairs in a spare bedroom and I have to say that it was very convenient and effective,
My breeding results was equally as good as having a birdroom outside :-BD

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Shannylee wrote: cindy, my husband is not a willing participant. He might have to go. LOL!!! j/k
=))