PVC cages?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Stinch
Mature
Mature

PVC cages?

Post by Stinch » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:07 pm

There plenty of pipes around the house and where I scrounge some up, would a PVC cage be decent for finches or budgies? (I don't want to shell R$50-R$70 on a cage that I can build that is approximately 2-3 times the size of what I can pay for 50 or 70 bucks) I've been thinking of making a few cages for quite a while now, I'm finally doing things like getting natural perches. : ^p

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: PVC cages?

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:16 pm

I presume you mean to use PVC pipes as framework for cages.

As a guess, PVC framework should be OK for finches because they don't gnaw on things.
Budgies? They chew everything so I might be hesitant -although a small hook bill may not be able to get a bite into a PVC pipe of, say, an inch in diameter. I have seen PVC pipes used in automatic watering systems in outdoor aviaries housing budgies so it could also be OK. Larger hook bills could be dubious because they could gnaw on the pipes.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:18 am

Stinch

Hi there mate,

I honestly can't see any reason why not, firstly it won't rust like metal cages can and secondly it should be quite easy to clean and doesn't need to be painted,

In England and Europe we use professionally made breeding stock cages of pvc as apposed to using the usual ply board for the cabinets,

My freind Dave from Kent cages UK actually manufacturers cage fronts out of fibreglass as apposed to the std metal fronts again these are for ease of cleaning and don't need continuesly painting,

If your on about using the pvc pipes as a frame work you might well be onto something here,

Give a go and see what you can come up with, got nothing to lose :-BD

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:20 am

Sounds like a great idea!!
Please keep us posted on your progress, pictures would be great :D

good luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green