Fake Flora - Where Do You Get It?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Fake Flora - Where Do You Get It?

Post by Celeris » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Well, it's about time to replace the plants I've got in the boys' cage. I'm not sure if I wanna stick with what I've got at the moment (four dollar store plants in the corners) or mix it up a bit. I know I've seen folks mention their plants here and there, but it's spread all over the forum. So, if you feel like it, mind telling me where you purchase fake nature for your finches and how much you pay for it? If you've got photos, feel free to share! Just looking for some inspiration, as it were.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Fake Flora - Where Do You Get It?

Post by lem2bert » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Celeris

I buy mine wherever I can get them. Most of them I purchased at Michaels whenever they had a sale or I use a coupon ( otherwise they are too expensive). Some I have found at dollar stores and family dollar. Word of warning....I bought some fall (orange colored) leaves and flowers and when I soaked them the water turned orange and purple, so I placed those on top of the cage so the birds could not reach them. I like to put them inside so I just buy green leaves and light colored flowers only as they do not seem to loose the die when I wash them. Just rearranging the ones you have can make a nice change. Hope this helps. Have fun decorating !!!
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 am

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, that is where I get most of mine. I wait till their greenery is 50% off and then stock up. I find they have the best selection. They have a sale going on right now. I like either plastic ivy or plastic grassy-looking plants or small-leaved plants. Here is one of my birds" favorites:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?text= ... kview=2856
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:33 am

I am re-cycling the branches off an old artificial Christmas tree
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:33 am

mohum what a great idea

@Celeris Like Betty I buy mine mostly at michaels using 50%
coupon I buy the long greenery for the top and pull some thru my cages have a pitched roof.The small ones I twist around branches.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:23 pm

lem2bert

I contemplated some of the flowers, but my guys seem to like to tug on and play with the plants and I was afraid they'd fall to pieces. Have you ever had flowers pop off?

@Sally

Thanks for turning me onto the sale at Hobby Lobby! I picked up a couple of good looking plants for CHEAP. Found some branch-like plants with leaves strongly resembling that of an aspen. The guys are loving hopping about in them and perching on the fake branches. Better quality than the dollar store stuff, but I paid the same price!

@mohum

How are the birds liking the Christmas tree branches? I know some of the cheaper trees shed almost as bad as the real ones--are you finding they're picking the branches apart or are they staying together alright?

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:32 pm

mohum wrote: I am re-cycling the branches off an old artificial Christmas tree
Exactly what I used to do in me breeding flights for me British finches a few years back,

Worked wanders and was easy to clean, just basically placed in a large bowl of hot soapy water and rub yer hands all over if with gloves on :mrgreen:

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:47 am

The artificial Christmas tree doesn't shed(some might) but they manage to destroy the fake ivy even though it is outside the cage.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:29 am

Celeris

My birds also like to tug and play with the leaves and flowers. If I am going to put flowers in I try to get the bigger flowers. Even if they tug a few off the still look good, but my birds prefer to play with the greenery !!! :roll:
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.