Zebra Finch behaviour

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Stacey2319
Pip
Pip

Zebra Finch behaviour

Post by Stacey2319 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Hello

I used to have a pair of breeding zebra finches, sadly last year the female passed away. The male has been quite happy up until a couple of months ago he started just sitting on the cage floor facing the corner of the cage. When he was surrounded by other birds for instance when he went to my parents or the pet shop when I was on holiday he was different again.
Initially I thought it was a lighting issue so I have bought a lamp, that didn't seem to do too much, so at the weekend I added a bengelese female finch to the cage. They seem to get on fine no sign otherwise, but yet he still goes to the corner of the cage and just sits there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or might know what is wrong, it's so sad to see.
Thanks

Stacey

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Zebra Finch behaviour

Post by Sheather » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:11 pm

I took in three older rescue zebras this week and find they like to sit on the cage floor too. Maybe it's simply an age related thing - they don't always want to stand on the perch? - rather than anything else?
~Dylan

~~~

Stacey2319
Pip
Pip

Post by Stacey2319 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:11 am

That's perhaps so I hadnt really considered that! Thank you

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Does he ever fly up to the perches?
Mine do, but when they rest, they sit in a huddle on the floor. They're otherwise healthy, and they jump to the perches as soon as I get too close.
~Dylan

~~~