Hammered Finish Cleaning Tips?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Hammered Finish Cleaning Tips?

Post by Celeris » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Alright guys, I've got a question for anyone with a cage that has a "hammered finish." I have Prevue F040 that I got second hand back in March. Love the cage, but am baffled as to why, since then, I've had build up of a white substance in various spots of the cage. Initially, I thought it was from my water (it seems to be getting a bit hard, as I'm experiencing more and more calcium deposits in the sink, shower etc.), but I started wiping down every nook and cranny of the cage after washing it--can't imagine that the deposits would get worse with the water wiped up. It seems most likely to be bird poop remnants, especially since it's very near their favorite perches (and not necessarily near water dishes, etc), but... why so hard to clean off? I've attached a photo of one of the spots--keep in mind this is immediately following me scrubbing the cage.

Has anyone else with the F040 or cages with a similar finish experienced this problem? Any cleaning product recommendations that might kick this in the butt and that would be safe for the birds? (I use Dawn and warm water, since I feel that a safe combination for my little guys.)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Hammered Finish Cleaning Tips?

Post by Sally » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:52 pm

Some use a product called 'Poop Off' which is supposed to make it easier to get poop off the cage bars, etc. I haven't used it myself, so can't say how well it works.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Thank you, Sally ! I will look it up and give it a try! I can't stand the cage looking filthy even when it's freshly cleaned!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:58 pm

IF this is from the birds, I've used this to clean: mix 1/4 part Dawn and 3/4 parts water. Spray it on, wait a few minutes and it will wipe clean.

Since you've already tried that, I wonder if it is zinc 'bloom' from the cage metal itself. Try the same process with straight vinegar. When you use vinegar to clean this, spray it on and repeat often enough to keep the area damp with vinegar. Wipe it off after 10 minutes or so. Then wipe the area with clear water so traces of vinegar don't remain as that will (possibly) keep working on the metal itself.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Dave

That actually sounds pretty likely! I can't see why the bird poop would cake and refuse to come off in some places, but not in others. I will give this a try before I get any bird poop cleaners. Had thought about vinegar, but was hesitant to use it 'cos I hate the smell. Worth it if it cleans up the cage, though!

Thank you!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:15 am

Sally Celeris

I can testify that Poop Off does indeed work! I dont need it on my finch cages, very hot water and vinegar works fine.

But my parrot's poop is like cement, and using a metal scrubber was too tedious and kept shredding my nails. I like having nice manicured nails. So I got some Poop Off, sprayed the area down real good, let it sit for a few minutes and whoopy!!! The parrot poop slid right off with just a washcloth of hot water. \M/ My nails are finally growing back, hehehe.

Finch poop should come off even easier with Poop Off.

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Babs

Thank you for the recommendation! I may have to get some of the stuff to try on problem bird spots. Is it safe to use on hardwood floors? These guys are killing me with their pooping outside the cage.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Celeris

I wouldnt trust anything on hardwood floors that isnt approved by the manufacturer. Try a throw rug where they poop, toss it in the washing machine twice a week . ;)

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:45 pm

My flight is black & hammered. I use these. I make it medium/strong. Spray liberally and let sit for couple minutes. It really melts the crude and the bristle brush gets down in the dips and creases. Brush at dollar store. Cleaner at glam gouldians website.
Attachments
IMG_2376.JPG
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Celeris this cleaner is the best I've used so far. I use it on everything.
30+ Gouldians
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:06 pm

Celeris this area gets a lot of build up because a perch is right above. This is there favorite corner for some reason. They sleep there and hang out therefore lots of poop at the bottom and in between the hammered shelf/grate area. I really saturate the area and let it sit. Then take the scrub brush and go to town. Sometimes I spray and scrub at the same time. But I really like how the cleaner "melts" the poop.
Attachments
IMG_2377.JPG
30+ Gouldians
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:24 pm

This looks like the same area of the flight. If you haven't already bought a cleaner try this one. Oh and don't forget the brush. That's half the battle.
Attachments
IMG_2379.JPG
30+ Gouldians
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Dave

Thank you so, so much for your recommendation! Vinegar did the trick. Cage looks brand new!

@Madcat

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll have to get my hands on one of those brushes. I use a non-scratch sponge right now and it just doesn't reach all the cracks and crevices without much effort on my part.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:41 pm

soft bristle toothbrush is my crevice-cleaning tool of choice.

And I usually just use plain water. Water + dish soap for spring cleaning. My guys don't get much crap on the sides like that so its been fairly easy for me, though right now I can't easily get to the cage and there is some, errrrm, BUILD UP in one corner now that I can't reach. Looks like a dropped egg that just happened to hit that corner. When my son gets back in a couple days I'll have him haul the cage out so I can get to that. He's got a pair of ginormous amps sitting in front of that part of the cage and they're too heavy for me to move and the cage is too unwieldy for me to try to pull it out.

I don't use the wire bottoms AT ALL. Just the trays, which I moved up to ON TOP of the slides for them so there's no gap for my guys to wiggle out of. Then all I usually have to do is shoo them to one side, slide in the divider, pull out the tray, dump and clean, repaper, stick it back in there, shoo them to the clean side and repeat for the other side. Having the dividers helps a LOT. If you don't have a divider for the cage, just wrap something around the bottom of the cage to cover the gap - like one of those exercise bands for PT, or just a strip of cloth that you can tie or velcro together around to cover the gap. Should be fine for the length of time it takes to clean the tray(s).

You might be able to find a "broken" cage on craig's list that has trays you can use as extras, so then you would just paper the clean trays and slide them right in, leaving you to be able to clean the dirty ones at your leisure.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.