Aviary Restoration

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Aviary Restoration

Post by FinchGrinch » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:08 pm

As you may know, I picked this up last weekend and had planned to set it up for my finches. After closer inspection while cleaning it, I decided that it needs a make over. Im in the hobby of restoring things and love to make things new again. So, I have decided to take this thing down, repaint, then replace the top openings with cage materials. Forgive my junky garage! Im in the process of restoring a 49 Willys Pickup truck.

Here is what I started with.

I found some soiled wood in the bottom and the entire thing is "rickety". There were actually some corner pieces that were loose. So the tear down begins.

All glass out and panels removed.

The top frame came apart when I removed it.

I re-glued all of the joints then fired some brads into each corner.

Corner frames ready for sanding

Bottom frame

Painting the bottom frame after cleanup. I went with a "Mark Twain Cabin" brownish red color to match the stuff in my formal living room.

Im using the Valspar NO VOC paint from Lowes. No fumes and it goes on really well.
Ill post more as I get further along.. stay tuned! :D

John
John

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Aviary Restoration

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:15 pm

FinchGrinch

Hey John,

Really looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Good luck with it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:22 pm

FinchGrinch, I'm sure it will be beautiful when you are done. Looking forward to the pix of the finished product and the finished product + birds! Do you know what kind of birds will be living in this condo?
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Post by FinchGrinch » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Shannylee wrote: FinchGrinch, I'm sure it will be beautiful when you are done. Looking forward to the pix of the finished product and the finished product + birds! Do you know what kind of birds will be living in this condo?
Thanks! I have 4 Societies that will live in it. I also have some babies on the way.
John

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 pm

FinchGrinch
Can not wait to see the finished product !!!! Your birds will love it and it will be so beautiful in your home! Post photos for the rest of us to enjoy!!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Post by FinchGrinch » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:59 pm

I got a little more done today.

Finished up painting the bottom frame

Painted frame pieces

Sizing up the pieces before gluing

I have all of the frame back together now and glued. I also fired some brads in the joints for strength. I have to finish up the top, right now its only fitted on to hold the frame together while it dries. Tomorrow I will finish painting the top, then fill any joints and touch up. The next step will be to put the glass back in the bottom and wire cage material in the top. Im debating going back with plexi-glass on the bottom but I really like how the glass looks, not to mention plexi-glass is expensive.

More to come.. stay tuned!

John
John

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:22 pm

FinchGrinch

Looking good !
I would opt for the glass as well, plexi tends to get scratched easily and loses it's shine after a while.

Now I forget, is there some sort of an arrangement for lighting in this set up?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Post by FinchGrinch » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:28 pm

I got a little more accomplished over the weekend and tonight.

Wire cage top panels installed.

I had enough material to make the top as well, I like this much better than the light defuser material that was in it before.

Back mural panels back in

John

FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Post by FinchGrinch » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:30 pm

lovezebs wrote: FinchGrinch

Now I forget, is there some sort of an arrangement for lighting in this set up?
I currently have a swag lamp with a Featherlight bulb in it. Ill re-use that setup.
John

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:08 am

This is really coming along, going to be so beautiful in your living room!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Post by FinchGrinch » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Its too cold tonight to work in the garage on the aviary. We,ve had single digits during the day here for the past few days. However, im at the stage where I need to figure out what to put in the aviary besides the tree limb that was in there before. Ideas are welcome. The tree limb spans from top to bottom and has a good set of branches for perches. I have thought about replacing it with a new branch because of past use with the previous owners birds. I have a good number of Manzenita branches that I can put in there and will mount to the mural walls. I will place feeders near the bottom and out of the "poop line" from above. I have already provisioned part of the wire cage area with a door that will hold a good nest box. I have also have other doors to put a bath, or a treat tray, etc. I would welcome other ideas on additional things to do or place inside. Please feel free to make suggestions.

John
John

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:47 am

FinchGrinch

Hi John,

It is really looking great!

Personally, I would hang greenery from the top, pulling it down between the bars, like vines and such, sort of framing the back panel if that makes any sense, to give it depth.

You will also need some branches for perches, with some close to the top for sleeping, partially sheltered by some greenery as well.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm

FinchGrinch

Just a thought. The waterfall backround is lovely, however, societies will blend into the back ground and almost camouflage .

Have you considered a solid black color for the back so the focus is on that wonderful tree and the beauty of birds?

Or color the other side of the wallpapered panels black, so you can reverse and switch to either when you want?

I really love that tree branch. A light wiping of water and weak bleach should sanitize it just fine.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:38 pm

I love the background!
~Dylan

~~~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter