should I upgrade?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: should I upgrade?

Post by Sojourner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Tish wrote:
w.l. wrote: Males are prettier and they sing.
But a pair would be best - if you don't want them to breed, just don't provide a nestbox.
yeah I don't want babies so no nest for sure. I don't use a nest with my society finches either.

Personally I would go with 2 males. I'm here to tell you, if you have a bonded pair, they WILL breed and they WILL lay eggs. Even if you have all females, one or more of them may still start laying eggs.

I lost one of my first pair of Bengalese to egg-binding even though both birds in the cage were female. I then took on a little fawn Bengalese so the surviving hen wouldn't be so miserable - and she turned out to be a he. Right now I am struggling to get my hen to stop laying. With Bengalese you can't tell males from females without a genetic test until "too late".

Seriously consider sticking with 2 males. It is the ONLY way to be sure you don't end up with eggs.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:27 am

I have no idea if I will get 2 males or female and male. Egg binding does scare me. I have a society finch that seems to pop out a few eggs every 30 to 45 days, she scares me everytime.
Last edited by Tish on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:32 am

Nerine I found it on toronto kijiji, but you can also find it on glitter-pet.com
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Tish wrote: I have no idea if I will get 2 males or female and male. Egg binding does scare me. I have a society finch that seems to pop out a few eggs every 30 to 45 days, she scares me everytime.
I'm right there with you. I'm pretty sure I haven't got the nerves to handle being a breeder, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Sojourner & Tish

Oh yes you can tell Societies apart (male from female).

Only the males do the song and dance routine, while the females chirp like crickets.

When you go to the Pet Shop, take your cell phone with you.
Google "male Society song", and play it to the Societies in the cage.
The females, will just cock their heads and listen, the males will immediately go into their song and dance routine (puffing up like tiny pears and singing up a storm).

Of course the people in the store, will think you're nuts, but who cares.
I've actually sexed Society Finches for people in Pet Shops using this method.

https://youtu.be/qC0lioJk4aY
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:17 pm

lovezebs wrote: Sojourner & Tish

Oh yes you can tell Societies apart (male from female).

Only the males do the song and dance routine, while the females chirp like crickets.

When you go to the Pet Shop, take your cell phone with you.
Google "male Society song", and play it to the Societies in the cage.
The females, will just cock their heads and listen, the males will immediately go into their song and dance routine (puffing up like tiny pears and singing up a storm).

Of course the people in the store, will think you're nuts, but who cares.
I've actually sexed Society Finches for people in Pet Shops using this method.

https://youtu.be/qC0lioJk4aY
THAT'S IT! Bambi goes all pear shaped when he's a-courtin'.

However both Petsmart and Petco here keep all their birds behind glass. So playing a song for them won't work as they can no more hear me than I can hear them.

I had wondered if just WATCHING would be good enough - do the females ever go pear shaped?
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Never.

If the birds in the cage are lively, you can sex them by putting your ear to the glass and seeing what sounds they're making, even if there's no singers. Males have a single note call, females chirrup. I've bought most of my societies, that I didn't breed, from PetSmart, and sexed them all by voice before picking them out.
~Dylan

~~~