should I upgrade?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

should I upgrade?

Post by Tish » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:49 am

I have a single flight cage already and I love it, but I've been thinking of buying a double flight cage for my six society finches. Do you think I should do it? It will cost me 450.00 to buy.
Cage I have now
Cage I have now
Attachments
Cage I'am thinking of buying
Cage I'am thinking of buying
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: should I upgrade?

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:17 am

Tish

I love my double flight. I'm getting a second one in a few weeks. I open it up when my adults gouldians arent breeding and they enjoy the exercise and the flight space.

All my cages are of those two designs.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:41 am

The bigger the better.
If you have enough space and feel it's worth the steep price, go for it!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:33 am

Tish

Can you get these second hand?

Might need to do some cleaning, but it would probably cost a fraction of the price of a new one.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:20 am

Tish, I have 4 single flights and got all of them off of CraigsList or Facebook Marketplace. 2 of them took a LOT of scrubbing but the other 2 were practically brand new.

Another idea would be to get another single flight and put the 2 cages together. You just take out the middle side panels, zip tie the cages together, and zip tie the side panels to the top of the stands so you can still use the stands! I haven't tried it yet but I think several members here have done this.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm

I too would say that if you have the space for the double flight, go for it, though that is way more expensive in Canada than in the U.S. You can never have too much space for the finches.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:01 pm

I've looked for it used but can't find one, so I would have to buy new. I think after Christmas I'am going to purchase a double flight cage, I don't have the space but I will make some. Thank for helping me decide.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Just wondering when I upgrade, do you think I'll have enough room to add 2 gouldian finches to my six society finches? Or will that be to many finches in a double flight cage?

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:16 pm

You can absolutely add 2 Gouldians and maybe another pair of finches, too.
Owls or Stars maybe? ;-) Just make sure you choose peaceful species.
And be aware that if you wish to breed them, the societies may interfere with the others' nesting.

This should be your reward for the pricey upgrade!

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:49 pm

:lol: this is the wrong place to ask both those questions. Should I get a bigger cage and should I get another pair of finches. Especially in combination.
The answer is almost definitely always a resounding YES.
We have absolutely no self control especially if it's for another!

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 pm

monotwine
Good point....look how easily Java Virus took over the forum....we are a pathetic bunch.... :evil: #-o :twisted:

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:26 am

I don't want to add to many birds, just really want 2 gouldian finches. Now 1 more question should I get 2 females or 2 males?

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 am

Males are prettier and they sing.
But a pair would be best - if you don't want them to breed, just don't provide a nestbox.

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:46 pm

w.l. wrote: Males are prettier and they sing.
But a pair would be best - if you don't want them to breed, just don't provide a nestbox.
yeah I don't want babies so no nest for sure. I don't use a nest with my society finches either.

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:10 pm

Tish

Is that on amazon.ca? I've never seen one that big for sale.
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird