Christmas came early.....

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Christmas came early.....

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:14 am

Nerine

That would be a nice choice for the two J-kids, and I bet they would love the extra space to more around =D>
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:54 am

w.l. Nerine

I really envy the prices in Indonesia, WOW!
Here in Canada, the prices are absolutely crazy, even more expensive than in the States.

Even these tiny little things (that I wouldn't house a mouse in) are expensive.

I like to spend time in the Pet store (just browsing of course :wink: ), and It breaks my heart when I see people buying a 12x12x15 inch (or there abouts) cage for a finch, or worse yet, for 2 finches.

Why don't they do their homework about the needs of these creatures that they are taking home with them?
I think people just don't consider, that this is not just their bird's house, it is their whole world, where in most cases they will spend the rest of their life 24/7.

w.l.

Your picture above, is something like what mine would look like if I put these 4 30x36 inch cages together.

I realize that it's not a problem of the flight cage being too flimsy for the birds themselves, lol.
I worry about it simply collapsing in on itself, or tipping over and collapsing when I do any work on it, or if one of the dogs bumps into the tables these cages are sitting on.
Once you put in perches, it does tend to stabilize things somewhat, but I think it would still need something else to make it more sturdy, or I will have to anchor it to the wall with some small hooks....
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:44 am

I put together 2 of the 30x36 cages for the parakeets, and reinforced with zip ties the places where the meets can't nibble. I made a stand using a 5 foot wire shelf, buying short poles and casters.
I finally decided to breed some of the finches, the societies and zebras each have a 30x36.
I thought about using the 18x18x30 to make larger cages, still have not done so.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:08 am

Lucille

I used zip ties as well with the two 30x36 cages, and they sit across two wood tables, but adding another set on top of these two, to make a larger flight seems too shakey without some extra support....

Can you post a picture of the shelf stand which you mentioned, it sounds interesting, and may offer me some possible ideas whichI hadn't thought of.
~Elana~

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Can't see where to attach the pic.
Two 30 inch cages are 60 inches. They have 60 wire shelving which is inexpensive and strong, the problems is that the poles go through and that support the shelves make the dimensions a bit less that 60 inches. So I took a shelf and instead of the long poles that go through and interfere with the dimensions, I purchase some short poles, 14 inches tall, that support the shelf but did not go through it.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:45 am

Lucille

Will have to check out wire shelving to get a better idea of what you mean, thanks.
~Elana~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Cages in canada ain't cheap, I live close to Oshawa and the only way to get a large cage is online and it's so expensive. I'll be paying 450 dollars for a double flight cage.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Tish

Honestly, I think they're price gouging us!!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Nerine wrote: lovezebs

For your earlier question, I will probably not modify them, and leave them as 4 separate cages.

And come to think of it, yeah it is looking a bit small for two javas, and now I've got my eye on this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014KM ... YIK6Y9EEQB

;)
I have that cage 2 of them actually. I love them, they are easy to put together and to clean. I'll be selling one soon.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Nerine wrote: Tish

Honestly, I think they're price gouging us!!
I don't doubt that. Everything that we buy for our finches is expensive here in canada..lol