Christmas came early.....

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Christmas came early.....

Post by Nerine » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:11 am

Christmas came early....;)

Should I still wrap it, and put it under the tree?

(But I should really open it and check inside first, to make sure everything's there!)
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Christmas came early.....

Post by w.l. » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:28 am

I am sure your birds would prefer to occupy it as soon as possible and care little for Christmas. Or are the occupants also going to be Christmas presents?

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:37 am

w.l.

No, not giving away any of my birds lol.

This is a set of 4 of the 18x18x30 flight cages, one of which will be used in the new year to set up my green singers, and one for possibly my canary, if I can find a suitable female for him.

And of course, for future additions down the road :)
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:55 am

Nerine

I think you should def open it up and check it out ( you know, just to make sure all the pieces are there...), and put it together too (just to make sure nothing is broken or warped...), and decorate it Christmas style (so that it will look festive, seeing as it's that time of the year), and and.... put the birds in, (just to see if they fit of course...) I mean you don't want these cages if the birds don't fit, right?

Then you can take everything apart, put back in the box, wrap it up, and put it under the tree... :twisted:

Are you going to make 4 cages, or 2 out of this set?

Oh, and I think w.l. meant if the birds were COMING as presents as well, lol, not if you were giving them away :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:16 pm

I'd definitely open it now, as you need to check to make sure all the parts are there and in good condition, so you can make a claim if need be.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:22 pm

lovezebs

:D
So I did open the box-everything was complete and unbroken-however, these cages don't have the small spring door on the side for a nest box , unlike a similar cage I bought several months ago, which was a little disappointing. I guess I should've looked more closely at the photos. I got these at a good price though, less than $40/cage including tax plus free shipping, so I won't complain.

I think I'll try putting the two new javas in one; just to make sure they'll fit of course, and maybe the canary might like the bigger space too and the bourke really needs a cage upgrade....

Birds coming as Christmas presents?! I wish! lol....although I'm still in the market for a nice canary hen....
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Sally

Good idea Sally, I just did :)
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Nerine

18x18x 30, may be a bit cramped fot your Javas.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:15 pm

My Javas "home base" is a 30 x 18, and they seem content. But they're in it only every other day, they spend about half the week loose in the bird room.
~Dylan

~~~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Indeed I meant if birds were coming as presents.

Funny to see these called "flight cages" - I consider these the smallest sized ordinary cages suitable to breed only zebras or societies, and only as temporary holding cages for other species. People here do breed domesticated Javas in them, too.
Are these what is meant by flight cage in the US? In Hungary we'd use that word for cages much bigger.

I have a number of such cages and started converting two of these into one 120*40*80 cm cage for breeding:
FB_IMG_1481395775864.jpg
FB_IMG_1481395785634.jpg
Those would perhaps be called a flight cage in my country.

Here these cages cost under $10 each!
I hate 2 things about them. One is the lack of door on the side - someyimes they have one, but positioned poorly for a nestbox, at floor level. The other is their wire mesh floor over the tray - it collects droppings and scrubbing it with the birds inside is very stressful for them.
The same type is also available in slightly bigger size, 75*45*45 cm.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:10 pm

w.l.

I like putting the 30in length by 36in height cages together length wise to make a longer flight cage ( 76.2cm x 91.44cm ). And I have been toying around with the idea, of attaching another set like that to the top, creating a 120in length x 72in height flight ( 304.8cm x 182.88cm ), but I'm concerned about the stability of it, seeing as these cages are rather flimsy.

My other flights are the F030's, which are 37 x 27 x 68 in inches (93.98 x 68.58 x 172.72 cm). and again, I have been considering placing 2 of them side by side, attaching them together and opening both top and bottom side doors to allow for flight across (which is something I saw in the house of my Java breeding lady).

So many projects, and not enough hours in the day, nor enough energy in this body :roll: , lol.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:33 am

I noticed I did the conversions wrong but the forum didn't let me edit my post, so some belated corrections.
What I consider the minimum size, costing under $10 here and what I turn into 120*40*80cm flight cages are the 60*40*40cm ones.
You don't actually need to buy 4 cages to have a flight cage 4 times the size of each oiriginal two. I just use 2 cages, plus add two sheets of wire bought separately, and already have cages 4 times the originals' size. Sure, they look a bit shaky, but I can put one on top of the other and they are standing! And they house small finches, not something strong trying to get out. :-)
Here is a pic one still empty, perhasps showing better how they are combined:
FB_IMG_1481437837263.jpg
Those 30*18 inches, 75*45*45 cm cages are a step up in size, and cost here $15.

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:54 am

lovezebs

For your earlier question, I will probably not modify them, and leave them as 4 separate cages.

And come to think of it, yeah it is looking a bit small for two javas, and now I've got my eye on this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014KM ... YIK6Y9EEQB

;)
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:30 am

w.l.

I'm in Canada :) A 'flight' cage here, is considered a cage which is wider/longer rather than taller, regardless of size. Pet stores generally only carry the tall 'parrot' cages, as budgies, canaries, lovebirds, cockatiels and conures are the most popular pet birds in southern Ontario; other finches, not so much. For example, this is considered an appropriate, permanent cage for a pair of finches:
https://www.amazon.ca/Prevue-Pet-Produc ... +for+birds

Many pet bird owners here don't realize that canaries and budgies need flight cages also. I find flight cages are difficult to find, and I've ordered most of mine online.

Where I live, bird cages in general are horrendously expensive.
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:53 am

Interesting.
In Hungary where I come from longer than taller is the norm in cages, and the name flight cage would indicate something longer than 100 cm in size, though here in Indonesia tall cages are traditionally used. Luckily the long type have become commonly available since they started breeding lovebirds. They actually refer to the 60*40cm type as "lovebird cage". As I had said, I consider that the minimal, rather than ideal size permanent accommodation for more placid finches.
I know cages here are cheaper than in the West, and am glad for it.
That cage you linked to looks very small on the photo but is described as OK by the dimensions given. However the price charged for it is outrageous!
What you are planning to get for your Javas looks very nice and would be expensive here, too.