6 Societies

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: 6 Societies

Post by Nerine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:17 pm

lovezebs

What about getting one of those robot vacs? It was something that was suggested to me a while back, but it's a little out of my budget. You can program it to vacuum several times a day.

A cordless hand vac is also handy to keep near the cages.
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Lucille

LOL....

I just looked at the seed guards on Amazon.ca, and they all look way too small ... :(

I would need sizes that would go around flights that are 60 inches long...and something with elastic and valcro attachments that could be easily removed and washed.

Darn it, I wish I was handy with sewing things, as it should be easy to make, but I'm hopeless with needle and thread..... #-o
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Nerine

I had considered it, but:

First of all, it is expensive
Second of all, I'd have to empty the darn thing a dozen times a day or it would get clogged up
And thirdly, the dogs would probably kill it, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:04 pm

lovezebs wrote: Lucille

LOL....

I just looked at the seed guards on Amazon.ca, and they all look way too small ... :(

I would need sizes that would go around flights that are 60 inches long...and something with elastic and valcro attachments that could be easily removed and washed.

Darn it, I wish I was handy with sewing things, as it should be easy to make, but I'm hopeless with needle and thread..... #-o
lovezebs wrote:
There is a lady on Ebay, LouMercer3, that makes seed catchers. When I had parrots I ordered from her, they were always well made and lasted through a bunch of washings. Her xl size are big, but you can also have her make custom sizes. You get a selection of fabrics too. But I remember paying around $35/skirt for xl ones Really, when you figure that a wall made skirt can save you 10 minutes of vacuuming every day it is worthwhile but that is a lot for a skirt.

Tigg
Pip
Pip

Post by Tigg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 am

Okay, so I know this is a really old thread, but I'm really diggin' the idea on this of wiring the two cages together.

If anyone out there happens to drive by this post and reads this, it looks like the two cages actually have one slightly tucked in to the other. Am I seeing that wrong? It would seem a lot more stable that way.

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Tigg

That's certainly how it looks to me. I suspect the purchase price of the two cages would equal right about the same as what you can purchase a Prevue F040 for on Amazon, but if you're looking to set the cage on a table or somesuch, the two cages wired together would be ideal, I think. (What with the F040 being a wheeled contraption.)

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:04 pm

I say go for the Prevue cage. It will cost the same as 2 Petco cages when they're not on sale, and only $25 more than when they're on sale - $100. I posted a link to it in another thread or just google Prevue F040 amazon. Or search for it directly on the amazon site.

Way more stable and less trouble to boot. I'm not sure the current iteration of Petco cages will stand up to this treatment - they changed cage suppliers about a year ago and the new cage isn't exactly the same as the old one. What I have seen in the store recently does not look like it would be easy to stack like that.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.