Here is my cage--some questions

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Here is my cage--some questions

Post by w.l. » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:52 pm

One thing to be more careful with tall cages is arranging perches in such a way that birds don't soil either the lower ones or the food/water dishes with their droppings from high up.

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:44 pm

I plan to start with two actually and see how I like it. And I have learned that from my time parrot keeping :lol: their poop is quite messy!
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:02 am

Chihuahua, welcome!

I have a more tall than wide flight cage for my societies and they use the WHOLE cage. I put a tray of treats (greens, thawed frozen corn/peas, boiled egg, etc.) so they go to the bottom. I also put the bath on the bottom. You have to remove the stuff on the bottom within a few hours though because they poop all over it.

As far as the big door goes...you can clip a towel in front of the door that act as a visual barrier. I have a pin tailed whydah that goes for the door every time I open it and the towel works for me.

I agree with what Elana said about making sure that you get safe societies if you intend to add gouldians. Find a gouldian breeder who also keeps societies.

Share pix of your new kids once you get them!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:07 am

Does anyone know of breeders in the Eugene, OR area or where I can go to look for breeders?

Also, here is a weird one for you guys :lol:

I have a Papillon and I have been saving his hair, although I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.. It occurred to me that the finches would likely enjoy it as nesting material. Thoughts?

edit: I have emailed a few breeders and they all come back as undeliverable!! I don't really want to mail order my finches so I might have to forget about the possibility of having gouldians.. that's fine though, there are a few other species around here that are much easier to find ;)
Toby

2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:42 am

Good if you are happy to skip the Gouldians as they are a bit sensitive species anyway. So what species have you in mind? Make sure they are compatible.
The finches might use the hair for their nest, but I'd prefer plant material. Less sticky and more hygienic. Hair could get caught on their legs, etc.

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:44 am

I'm a big fan of java finches! I see them in pet stores fairly regularly here. I think they are gorgeous.

I may just stick to societies though for a while, since they vary so much. And they are cute!

I'm also interested in star and owl finches as an aside, but I can't tell you where I would find those around here.
Toby

2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:53 am

I like Javas much more than Societies, but given their size, if you get them, you may have to keep only Javas in that cage.
My Javas are OK with smaller birds in a big birdroom, but when I tried mixing Javas and Spice in a cage in the past, it didn't work out.
Actually, I'd proably prefer Zebras to Societies, too.
OTOH, Societies are the ultimate peaceful birds and you could probably add whatever you wish to them in the future.

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:15 am

Ah I just remembered about a bird show toward the end of next year, so if i want anything more unusual i'll have to check that out when it comes around! Thanks for the advice guys. I will be bringing home a couple on Friday most likely.
Toby

2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix