Prevue F030 - favorite food/water holders? Recs needed

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Nicole R.
Hatchling
Hatchling

Prevue F030 - favorite food/water holders? Recs needed

Post by Nicole R. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:51 pm

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and to finchkeeping.

I've just received my new Prevue F030 flight and have a few weeks to set it up before my birds arrive. For those of you who have this cage, can you recommend any favorite food/water dispensers? I already bought two water tubes that won't work because the trough is sized for 1/2" bar spacing, not the 3/8" spacing of the F030. (I'm not willing to bend the bars of my brand new cage to force a solution : )

Thanks in advance,
Nicole
2 red billed firefinches
2 red cheeked cordon bleus
2 owl finches
2 seagreen parrot finches
All yet to be delivered
Non-breeding (all male) mixed community

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Prevue F030 - favorite food/water holders? Recs needed

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:56 pm

Nicole R.

Hi Nicole, and welcome to the Forum.

You're getting a favorite flight of mine.
I absolutely love these, and whenever I see one second hand, I snap it up as quickly as possible. It usually takes a bit of elbow grease to get them cleaned up, but paying a fraction of the full price makes it worth while.

In my opinion, they are the best flight cages out there.

Now, to your questions:
Regarding the drinking tubes, here are a couple of pictures of the kind that I use. The plastic of the bottoms of these tubes is pliable so you can give it a little squeeze with thumb and forefinger and they work very well, without having to bend any bars.

Regarding the seed dishes:
The ones like the purple one in the picture below work well, and you can place them anywhere in the flight.

Your flight should have come with seed cups (I believe) as well.

There are many different types out there, some that are supposed to keep the seed mess to a minimum, so in all reality it comes down to what you like and what works for you.

I hope this was helpfull :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20161231-145005-360x576.png
20161231_144302-329x306.png
20161231_144302-329x306.png (107.29 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
20161231_144228-182x358.png
20161231_144228-182x358.png (75.99 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Nicole R.
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Nicole R. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:19 am

Thank you so much! The photos are really helpful.
2 red billed firefinches
2 owl finches
All yet to be delivered

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:33 am

Nicole R.

You're most welcome :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:29 pm

Glam Gouldians has some of those water tubes

http://glamgouldians.com/shop-cage.php

She has some of those feed cups as well but I prefer these:

http://glamgouldians.com/product-biscuit-cup.php

In my 1/2" spaced cage the above biscuit cups tend to flip up and off the bars when my guys take flight, so I loop an elastic hair tie around the hooks and that keeps them firm.

http://glamgouldians.com/product-2gr-art57-finger.php

There is a clear version of these as well but I found them to be brittle and break easily. The white plastic ones seem more flexible. I think the finger cups will still work for 3/8" spacing because you can squeeze them without breaking them, but you should e-mail her and ask to be sure before buying.

I have some of the following but ended up NOT using them for my finches - the biscuit cups and thumb cups are smaller and less nest-like and since they are shallow, there is no chance of overfilling and ending up with seed buried under hulls. They seem large for finches to me.

I took the grates out and use these larger cups for my parakeets. However you can easily bend the hooks to fit whatever spacing you please. If you choose to use them, don't fill them very deeply and then you won't have to blow seed out or throw good seed away with hulls. You could also use them for greens but I prefer a small plate in the bottom of the cage for that.

http://glamgouldians.com/product-treat-cup-art22G.php

I use the fat silos for my main feed seed and thumb cups (you would use the smaller finger cups above) and egg biscuit cups for everything else.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:15 am

I use the vacation feeder. It fits perfectly in the side doors of the f030. Easy to refill without taking up any cage space. Another thing I really like about this feeder is the drawer for catching all the husks.
For water I like to use the JW pet company water silo. It fits perfectly between the 3/8 inch bars.
Attachments
IMG_20160517_162154.jpg
IMG_20160517_162224.jpg
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:40 am

The double feed cups mine came with were fine for a while but ultimately the hooks snapped as they did not fit as nicely into the bars as they should have and sometimes had to be encouraged. I do not have any left. My favorite kind if you are not going to put dishes on the floor (that's what I do for the finches--encourages them to use the entire cage) are the ones that screw on to the side. They are very sturdy and easy to clean.

http://i1.ppfry.com/media/catalog/produ ... rpceq6.jpg
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Nicole R.
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Nicole R. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:02 pm

I really appreciate everyone's responses. The photos and links are really helpful, too.
2 red billed firefinches
2 owl finches
All yet to be delivered

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:23 pm

kyle wrote: I use the vacation feeder. It fits perfectly in the side doors of the f030. Easy to refill without taking up any cage space. Another thing I really like about this feeder is the drawer for catching all the husks.
For water I like to use the JW pet company water silo. It fits perfectly between the 3/8 inch bars.
That's what I use for water as well. The taller ones are a little less handy than the shorter ones as they tend to lean back from the cage (they don't come with a clip like the old glass ones did). What that means is that the water tends NOT to flow down into the open part (where they would drink from) as it should and your birds may not be able to get at the water.

But I had a clip from an old silo and using that took care of the problem.

Twisting a hair tie around it and securing it through something like a bobby pin inside the cage is one way to solve the issue with the taller silos leaning away from the cage - but you can only do that with finches as parakeets would chew through it pretty quick. Undoubtedly there are other ways.

But knowing what I know now, I would just put more of the smaller silos instead of going to the taller one if I had more finches. It takes my 2 finches several days to empty the smaller one so that's plenty of water. (Unless, of course, I forget to give them their baths, then they will splash the water out of the silo in a very pointed attempt to show me the error of my ways.)

Besides, more feed and watering stations drastically reduces the chance of squabbles.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.