My Flight Cage Build - Colorado

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
CoMtnGal
Nestling
Nestling

My Flight Cage Build - Colorado

Post by CoMtnGal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi all, I thought I'd share my set up as I am very pleased with it. Hubby likes it immensely too which is a bonus! I just recently got back into birds - have had many pet birds, waterfowl, poultry etc over the years. We recently moved to a more residential area so outside birds are a no go. Being a recent empty nester - I decided the house was too quiet.

My cages of choice are the black 18dx30wX36 high. I have four that I built as two double flights. Another I added an 18x18 cage to so it's 48" long, 36 high, 18 deep.

I bought the reed backing from Lowes and cut it to fit, then tie wrapped that onto the back of the cage. I bought M & M cage lighting for the top, which I am super happy with. Need one more 18" strip. I also have a string of Christmas lights that come on 30 minutes before the main lights and go off 30 minutes after.

I bought two 18x60 in tables and put black duct tape on the front to blend with the black cages. The four foot cage is on a reclaimed wood table I had.

I supply all my cages with a big square pan of an organic soil mix with a little sand. I add sprouted seed, herb salad and sprinkle regular seed and stir it all in. The finches LOVE this so much.

You can see the added greenery and nests and the perches are set up to optimize the length of the flight.

Everyone seems happy!

From left to right - first cage houses a pair of Blue-capped Cordon Blues, Black-cheeked Waxbills and Gold-breasted Waxbills. Second cage, a pair of Pearl-headed Amandines, a trio of Lavender Waxbills and a male Blue-billed Firefinch.

The 48" cage houses four female Orange-cheeked waxbills, a Red-billed Firefinch and a Society.
Attachments
IMG_9579.jpg
IMG_9578.jpg
IMG_9577.jpg
Connie
http://www.aslansown.com
Is He Safe? "Safe? Of course He isn't safe, but He's good. He's the King I tell you."

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: My Flight Cage Build - Colorado

Post by jonvill » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing :D

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Very nice.

By the way your website does not work

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Love the setup, and love that reed backing on the cages!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:32 am

CoMtnGal

Looks very nice Connie.

I like the reed backing as well, good idea.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

CoMtnGal
Nestling
Nestling

Post by CoMtnGal » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:11 am

gouldianguy- thanks. I think I fixed it.
Connie
http://www.aslansown.com
Is He Safe? "Safe? Of course He isn't safe, but He's good. He's the King I tell you."