Screening for home made aviary

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Screening for home made aviary

Post by Sojourner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:22 pm

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-48-in ... /100565927

Has anybody seen or (better yet) used this stuff to make a bird cage? Seems it would be super simple to build a wooden frame and staple this stuff to it. I've seen it suggested for outdoor aviaries as well.

What do you think? I'm always ready for a cheaper cage ...
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Screening for home made aviary

Post by Dave » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi,

Screen with holes the size in window screening can be troublesome for finches, as they can get their toenails caught up in it. They'll perish if you don't see that in time.

Also, I think the only possible screen for outdoors should be metal, 1/2" squares. Any lighter weight screen will eventually be torn by cats, minks or raccoons, even hawks.

I had a Sharp-shinned Hawk on my outdoor flight this week, and he couldn't begin to get through. I'm using 14 gauge galvanized wire, 1/2" x 1", from this source: http://www.klubertanz.com/images/Klubertanz_Pg8.pdf

This is often available locally, perhaps from a farm store.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:52 pm

I had a spice finch get stuck in my window screens once, would not recommend it for a cage at all. Use hardware cloth.
~Dylan

~~~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Sojourner

I believe this is the metal screen I used for my cage, and it has worked well:

1/4" x 2 feet x 5 feet screen

It's very strong, but easy to trim with wire cutters; just try not to stab yourself with the scraps.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Sojourner - When I built my aviary in 1989 I brought 1 cm x 1 cm plastic coated (green) wire mesh from Germany because at the time I could not find plastic coated in the US. It eliminates a lot of the glare and lets you see your birds much better. Also, the plastic is easy on their feet (no sharp edges) and the wire strong enough to stand up to raccoons etc. The plastic coating is just now beginning to break down in the areas that get the most direct sunlight (my aviary faces south). By now this type of wire should be available here as well. Don't know about the price, though. You might want to check it out before you buy.
Iso

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Yeah, I have used hardware cloth for a plethora of things over the last 50 years, but I don't like using it for bird cages. My dad used it to make the breeder cages my mom used but my birds are for fun and observation. I don't think I can see them well enough through it. It doesn't exactly clean easily either. And because of the zinc coating it is right out for parakeets as they WILL chew on it. Of course so would that screening be insufficient for parakeets.

I don't want them to get their toenails stuck so I guess I'll drop THAT idea. I only wanted it for INDOOR use myself, but not if they'll get caught in it and hang there struggling.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:45 am

If you want visibility go for plexiglass/acrylic? $$$ but it works

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:45 pm

I'll probably be using coated hardware cloth if I can ever get out of the house... darn ice [-X
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 am

Chihuahua wrote: I'll probably be using coated hardware cloth if I can ever get out of the house... darn ice [-X
The only coated stuff I've ever seen is prohibitively expensive. Its powder-coated and I can't even remember where I found sources for it. It's also probably not hardware cloth per se, it had something like 1/2" x 3" openings (or something like that).

I know there is supposed to be some aviary "cloth" with bigger openings than that window screen but I've never been able to find that either. Or, I may have found it (I forget) but have forgotten where.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:10 am

Sojourner, are you in the U.S.? If so, Lowes and Home Depot and Menards have coated hardware cloth that isn't too expensive. I've also seen 1/2" chicken wire, coated, at those stores. It is sometimes displayed in a different area from the large-opening wire you're talking about.
Dave

Canaries

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Dave

Yeah, in the US. I'm a frequent flyer at Home Despot, Lows, etc. due to the fact that I built my own house - as in with my own two hands. I've never seen anything like what you're talking about.

I did go and hunt it up via their website though. They offer what they call PVC hardware cloth - but only by special order. At least around here. Thus I have never seen it in the store.

I'm still not enthused because I feel it occludes my ability to watch the little guys. Maybe I should zip tie a piece to their existing cages and see.

However the chicken wire doesn't come smaller than 3/4" openings no matter what type it is - coated or uncoated. At least not at Home Despot. A web search doesn't turn up anything smaller than that.

AVIARY netting is a different thing, the problem being that it has to be shipped and shipping charges and/or quantities required to be bought have made that not a great idea up to now.

I am sure if I kept hunting I could come up with something viable, and I probably will eventually do that. But I saw this stuff suggested for aviary use, discovered it was IN STOCK at my local Home Despot, and thought it might be a quick and easy way to build a large cage. Oh well. :YMDAYDREAM:
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Sojourner wrote:
Chihuahua wrote: I'll probably be using coated hardware cloth if I can ever get out of the house... darn ice [-X
The only coated stuff I've ever seen is prohibitively expensive. Its powder-coated and I can't even remember where I found sources for it. It's also probably not hardware cloth per se, it had something like 1/2" x 3" openings (or something like that).

I know there is supposed to be some aviary "cloth" with bigger openings than that window screen but I've never been able to find that either. Or, I may have found it (I forget) but have forgotten where.
The stuff I am looking at is pvc coated. Parrots can pick it off but finches won't bother it. You can get it at most hardware stores.

Worth noting that I intend to make a walk in aviary so the birds will be watched from the inside!
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Chihuahua is right, the stuff I have is PVC coated.

The really high quality coated wire, black or dark green, will be expensive. http://www.klubertanz.com/ supplies rabbit breeders. They'll cut the wire to the size you need, so there won't be waste, but the good stuff still costs.
Dave

Canaries

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:13 pm

If you can, pay the costs. Otherwise, stick to smaller indoor cages. I'm planning an indoor aviary with mostly glass, vents at the top and bottom that'll be using a window access to provide an outside aviary too. Outside sunshine is vital. Some people use uv lamps, but I've read they can cause problems.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:12 am