Need help deciding on Aviary

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Bigfoot3345
Pip
Pip

Need help deciding on Aviary

Post by Bigfoot3345 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm not too handy so deciding to purchase instead. What do you guys think about these two aviary. I like them both. however, the Advantek is $399 and the other is $339. Have you guys purchased these before.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
d000cfffae3252b62d5c237aa56f44e6.jpg
Pair Peter's Twinspots
Pair Blue Cordon
4 pair of Gouldians
Pair of Zebra
pair shaft tail
pair gold breast
pair purple grenadier
pair white tail green singer

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Need help deciding on Aviary

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Bigfoot3345

Personally I like the first one.

It is more aesthetically pleasing, and appears to be bigger (?)
However, with those large front doors, you'll have to figure out some sort of a drop curtain to block the birds from escaping when you are doing any sort of work inside the flight.

The second one, seems to be smaller, but has a seperate entrance, where you can go in, and close one door before openening the actual flight door, which means no escaped birds.

Sorry I'm not much help, but both flights have pluses and minuses :-??
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Are these for outside?

If they're outside, here are some issues:
  • cats will have a field day climbing around on them. So will raccoons, 'possums, hawks, and hooligans.
  • wind will undo your birds. Wet and wind are the bird's enemies outdoors. They need to be able to get into a solid enclosure
If these are for indoors, then the first one is larger and larger is always better. (I almost wrote 'larger is always bigger' but since this isn't a geometry forum....)
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:53 pm

The first one might look pretty, but with its huge doors is ridiculously unsuitable for keeping birds, obviously designed by someone who knows nothing about them.

The second one is perfectly designed with the little doors to change food and water, and the small shelf inside from the upper door.

Mind you,I'd go for a rectangularly shaped one.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:09 pm

I would not get either one. I would go for a rectangular shaped one.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 pm

I would also go with a rectangular one, as long as possible so your birds have more room to fly. I also would opt for a low door at the far end. Yes, you would have to duck down a little every time you want to enter. But your birds would fly off towards the far end and even if they came towards you, they would - most likely - fly high. My entry door (I built my own aviary in 1989) is only 4 feet tall and I have never had a bird escape in all these years.
Iso

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:54 pm

The first cage looks like it would be good for tame specimens of smaller parrots or doves, but not finches which would fly and escape.

I like the second one a lot though, the safety door is a really nice touch!
~Dylan

~~~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:15 pm

I love the looks of the first one, but second one seems the best for keeping your birds from escaping.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:39 am

I would ask someone to build one for me if you can find a person! The second one is better but it is small and I think you will become frustrated after some time.
You could buy 6 or 8 simple wooden screen doors at home depot for example, they cost around $20 each, buy some hardware to connect them and a piece of wood for the top and make something like that yourself very easily.

But also, rectangular or square so they can fly back and forth.
I love the idea of a low door. It might be a challenge to make a door out of screen doors unless you actually use one as a door and I would worry about birds escaping also if it is outside.