Can't we all just get along?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
garylancelot
Pip
Pip

Can't we all just get along?

Post by garylancelot » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:13 pm

So I am fairly new to owning finches. I have had my birds for about 6 months and have read a LOT and continue learning each day. These little birds absolutely fascinate me and I love watching them every day.

I have two cages. In one cage I have a mated pair of Zebras. In my other cage I have four societies and one zebra. I have two questions about who should live with who:

1. I got my new zebra about two weeks ago. He is completely white save for his beak and feet (obviously). I worried that putting him with my other two zebras would cause fighting. Whenever I put any other birds in with those two, my male zebra uses his trademark move of chasing the other bird all around the cage relentlessly and then grabs it by the wing and hangs it from the perch by his beak. He does this with any bird that goes in with him. Perhaps he's afraid of the new bird threatening his relationship with his mate? She does a little chasing, but he is the really mean one. Zebra finches I have learned are very territorial and not incredibly nice for being such "social" birds. Society finches are much nicer and more accepting. So the first question... How do I introduce new birds into the cage with this mated pair? The little spoiled things have a whole cage all to themselves because of this. Granted, they have a clutch of eggs right now, so I am leaving them be until the chicks are weaned, but I would like to know how to fix this once the chicks are grown. How do I get him to be nicer? He is smaller than the rest, but makes up for it in territorial meanness.

2. My one zebra finch with the societies gets along fine, in that there really is no fighting or food hoarding, but he sleeps alone almost every night. If I put a nest in the cage, the societies will all pile into the one nest and leave him all alone. If I take the nest out, he will SOMETIMES sleep on the perch nest to them, but most of the time he finds his own perch to sleep on alone. I worry about him being lonely. Should I be concerned about this?

Lastly, my idea is to mix and match once the chicks are weaned. I intend on splitting up the mated pair and putting the male(father) with the societies. I doubt any fighting will ensue. They have been together in the past and the story was much the same as it is with my white zebra now. Once he is with the societies, I intend on putting my white zebra in with the mom and chicks to see how they fair. Again... not until after they are weaned will I make this change. Maybe I'll try it for a few weeks and then finally reintroduce the father into the cage again so all the zebras can be together. Any thoughts on this? Is it a bad idea?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance!

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Can't we all just get along?

Post by w.l. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:41 pm

How do I introduce new birds into the cage with this mated pair?

You don't!
As simple as that.
It's totally normal for a mated pair to wish to be on their own.
Imagine yourself living happily with your spouse and kids in your home and someone insisting on putting in a complete stranger to live in your midst, would you be happy?
Your efforts to force another bird upon them, even thinking of splitting up the pair, are only causing them misery and stress.

If you worry about your third zebra being lonely, get him/her a pair and house them separately from your first pair, possibly still with the societies.
Multiple pairs of zebras are only likely to live peacefully together long-term in an aviary.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:45 pm

garylancelotI do not have zebras but was thinking of geting two females they have some really cute one at a local petsmart.I'm sure someone with more experience can give you some suggestions but for now I think what you are planning could work,I have noticed with any finches with the exception of of course zebras and the gentle society,that my experience with owls,gouldians is they do better with pairs male and female in a cage by therselfs or all males in one cage and all females in another,I think even if you don't want to breed males in females in the house always want to breed here in new england so they are always a little too territorial not sure where you are.I also think each bird is different so what can work for one may not work for someone else,are little finches certainly can keep us busy trying to keep peace among all.good luck with your zebras :D
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

garylancelot
Pip
Pip

Post by garylancelot » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:08 pm

w.l. Thank you so much! I really like that perspective. No... I'd be pretty ticked off to have a stranger come live in my house too! I love my finches very much and want them to be happy.

Based on what you are suggesting, I will probably wait until the chicks are weaned and will put one of them with my white zebra as a pair in with the societies. Then hopefully everyone will be happy. Even now, my little white zebra sings happily all day, so I don't think he's too miserable. :)

Thank you so much for the advice!

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:30 pm

garylancelot

w.l. has a great suggestion in putting one of the chicks when weaned in with your lone zebra.

I just wanted to mention that I used to keep a trio of zebras together, a male and two females, and they all got along fine. However, they were siblings and grew up together. I also did not put a nest in the cage, because I did not want to encourage incest ;)

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new arrivals!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:37 pm

The one thing to bear in mind if giving a newly weaned chick as pair to an adult male is that she won't be truly ready to breed till aged at least 8 months or so, while the adult male will be ready already. To prevent premature breeding that could ruin the body of the young female, be sure to keep them without any nesting facility and material. You could also move in all newly weaned chicks with the white male and the societies - they are better separated from he parents once independent anyway.
Though you didn't tell how big your cages are - overcrowding cages long-term is never good.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:38 pm

garylancelot You've gotten some good advice already, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to help you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm here to tell you, removing anything nest-like will NOT keep them from breeding. It will just keep them from hiding eggs in a nest where you can't find them until it's too late.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.