Finches in outside cage ?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
yajur
Pip
Pip

Finches in outside cage ?

Post by yajur » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:25 am

Building cage for finches.

Planned to keep it on my roof where it will get direct sunlight and temperature can go upto 40*c ( 104 F ) in summer and our winter wont be cold as we are in tropics 78 F to 70 F will be our winter temp.

can i keep zebra and gouldian finches in this ? will cover the top and will have lot of hiding spot for them from sun.

Any tip to keep them outside.
Attachments
1.jpg

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Finches in outside cage ?

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:11 am

After protection from sun, wind and rain, then cats and rodents are the biggest threat. I've even had a hawk sit on my outside aviary. Use heavy wire mesh! And maybe have a rodent trapping program outside of your aviary.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:48 am

yajur

Welcome from Massachusetts. What a beautiful place to sit and enjoy your birds. =D> Looking forward to seeing the final product. :D
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:46 am

yajur

As was already mentioned by Dave, you will have to be very carefull with cats, rats, snakes, and predatory birds.

Personally, I would suggest one side of your aviary be an enclosed area, where your birds can hide from wind, rain (even in the tropics, you can get some major storms, as you already know), or other possible dangers that might frighten them. If your aviary is open all around, there is no place where your birds can feel safe.

With that type of summer heat, some sort of a cooling system might be a very good idea. I know some of our members in hot countries, have a misting system set up, where they're birds can go to cool off from the heat.

Some sort of an over hang for shade, will of course be necessary. It can be in the way of a roof, tarps, and also some large potted plants (very attractive) that will in time hang over, offering shade and shelter as they grow.

Good luck, and please share some pictures of your work in progress.

By the way, welcome to the Forum, from a very cold, snowy Canada :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

yajur
Pip
Pip

Post by yajur » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks guys for the help and i will make some hideout for them and i will keep you posted on the development.

I have used two mesh one from inside and other from outside so that any predator cant reach them.

This is other side of the cage
WhatsApp Image 2017-02-05 at 9.25.34 PM.jpeg
Now mesh work one two sides done back side and front left and next sunday planned to paint the cage.
WhatsApp Image 2017-02-05 at 9.30.14 PM.jpeg

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:05 pm

yajur

Wow !!! Beautiful view. Great job on the flight. =D> I do think that Lovezebs has a great idea about an enclosed area. I have flight cages in my house and they are all up against a wall. My birds all tend to sleep on perches that are near the wall at night. Can't wait to see updates !! :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:37 pm

I don't have any outside aviaries, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to help you. One suggestion I would make is that you have a safety catch added to the aviary, so you can enter the aviary without the birds being able to slip past you and escape.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:52 pm

yajur

Big welcome from Texas! Your birds will have a view that any human would envy! I have an outdoor aviary and have had "outdoor" experiences for a couple of years now. Something else to consider besides all the other great tips, there will be heat radiating from the roof which will add heat to your aviary. You definitely need to think of ideas to cool down that area. Maybe some sort of misting system will help with the heat in summer. In winter, I'm sure winds will also be a problem so lovezebs had a great suggestion about having a side covered to give your guys a place to escape.

Best of luck and can't wait to see your completed project. What a gorgeous view!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!