Getting a friend for my zebra?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Lightheart
Pip
Pip

Getting a friend for my zebra?

Post by Lightheart » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:17 pm

I originally got two male zebras almost 4 years ago, Brisbane and Ganner. They didn't get along great, but they didn't hurt each other or chase each other away from food either. Just kind of bickered a lot. (I would say Ganner was the meaner of the two) Brisbane passed away about 2 years ago due to sickness, and I haven't gotten Ganner another friend yet.
Originally I waited for quarantine reasons, but since he was happy I figured I'd let it be. He's never been depressed or seemed lonely, he's in great health, he's very active. The only thing is, he's a bit of a coward. If I try to introduce anything new to the cage, he will not go near that side (for months) until I finally remove the offending object. I can change out items that were in the cage when Brisbane was alive, and that's fine. The same applies for foods. Brisbane always tried things first, so I think that's why. But new things are a big no no.

Anyway, long ramble for this. I was wondering if getting him a friend would help him be braver (maybe he's not quite at ease?). I was thinking maybe a society would be easier to introduce, but I've heard you should only introduce birds when they're young? So is getting him a friend a good idea, or should I leave him alone since he's happy and healthy? If I get another finch, should I get a society or zebra? I have a spare cage so I could put the cages next to each other after the quarantine period to help them get used to each other. But I can't do chicks so it'll have to be a male (I'm hoping if I get a society I can catch one singing). My other concern is if I only get one society, before they go together it'll get lonely. :( However my cage isn't big enough for 4 finches, and I've heard odd number (3) are bad below 6....what do you guys think? Any advice?

Sorry for the rambling questions, :oops: thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: I'm also hoping this was the right board to post this question too, I couldn't tell.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Getting a friend for my zebra?

Post by lovezebs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Lightheart

Personally, I would get Society as a companion.
Societies, are amazingly comforting birds, and a lot more gentle than another Zebra would be.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 pm

I'd have to agree with Elana on this. It's a toss-up with zebras--hard to say what combination will work best, so adding a socie is more likely to go well. I have a mixed flight of (male) zebras and societies myself and have seen the two species cuddling during daytime naps and nighttime, as well. I think a friend will definitely up Ganner's confidence and, hopefully, the society disposition will enable peacekeeping amongst the two.

I can say that I had no issue introducing old zebras to young whipper snappers the one time I did it, but the oldest is rather easy-going and I have a young peacekeeper zebra that keeps him safe from any nitpicking from the other birds. I think adding new birds to old is a bit like chemistry--you need just the right combination to avoid a volatile reaction.

Lightheart
Pip
Pip

Post by Lightheart » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:04 am

Thank you both for your advice! It was very helpful. I'll go with a society then, and hope they get along. [-o<

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Lightheart

Lately I have several Societies and Zebras snuggling together in a small green Easter basket.

It's quite hilarious really. You walk in there, and you see a whole crew of Zebra and Socie heads pop up out of the basket. They may or may not have eggs in there :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:16 am

Lightheart

Did you end up getting a little companion for your lonesome boy?
We haven't heard any news :D
~Elana~

Lightheart
Pip
Pip

Post by Lightheart » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:06 pm

lovezebs

I'm actually still looking around for a society finch. :-k But I'm hoping to have found a friend for him and have them settled by the end of the month. Hopefully! I'll let you guys know when I find one and how it goes.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Lightheart

Good luck :D
~Elana~