A good price on cages

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

A good price on cages

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Petco's website has a sale on 30x18x18 cages. Normally $50, on-line price is $37.50.
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore ... light-cage#
My local store had them in stock and price matched the on-line price so there was no shipping cost.

Unlike many of the cages you see in pet shops these have an extra spring loaded door on one end for external mounting of breeding boxes.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: A good price on cages

Post by Sojourner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:33 pm

This PetCo You & Me Finch Habitat (cage) is the ONLY cage either of the pet supermarkets (PetCo and PetSmart) carry that is actually large enough for finches, canaries, and parakeets. To my mind its a bit short (vertically) for parakeets but at least it is long enough to get a halfway decent flight in if you are careful about how you place the perches.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ellen7 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:41 pm

I have this cage in black and bought it when Petco had them on sale for $29.99. Saving even $12 by purchasing one now is still savings in the bank!

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 am

I find that cage rather small. I know people differ in opinion but I like at least 5 ft of vertical space.
It is an excellent price though.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:41 pm

I have this cage in white and use it when I have a bird that needs some temporary special care and when I want to quarantine birds . It gives me easy access to the bird but also provides them with a large enough temporary flight space.
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Jesse, can you tell us why you like 5' of vertical space?

I think people like the 30" wide cage we're talking about because it is SO MUCH BETTER than most of the inexpensive cages sold for birds. Most of the cages in stores are not designed with birds in mind, they're designed with sales in mind.

By the way, I've had better results with these 30" wide cages by hanging cloth (on the outside) around the two sides and back, and the top, so that only the front is open. The birds were a lot calmer, I suppose because they weren't so much in the open.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi Dave,
I completely agree that cages are designed for sales and not for specific birds all the time and money is sometimes an issue. They are not cheap and the bigger the more expensive it gets. In fact, I will say everything about finches is WRONG in the pet stores. Even their flier has the bare minimum to keep a finch alive, happy and thriving information.
I'm sorry I meant to say horizontal.
I flipped my flight cage so it's longer horizontally. I posted it. I'm sure I make more sense now. The flight cage with added cloth to enclose the entire thing which had a shelf is over 5 ft wide.
There is no way I could afford a $300 cage that is 6ft right now and didn't want to turn my entire bird room into an Aviary.
I have read one breeder who thought verticle was more important in terms of exercise.
I have to disagree since they tend to not use the bottom of the cage much and you have to convince them to do so. Covering part of the cage is not a bad idea. In the cage setup I have now they fly across the entire thing and are far more active than when I had it vertically.