Flight cage turned on it's side, larger now (ideas)

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Jesse
Pip
Pip

Flight cage turned on it's side, larger now (ideas)

Post by Jesse » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:22 am

Hi, I'm new. I have a flight cage but decided to turn it on its side to make it longer rather than higher. I didn't want to buy another cage and so far it is working very well. They like it better and use the bottom more now. I can extend it with hardware wire another foot and will this weekend.
I will add more plants but this is what it looks like.
I thought I'd share in case anyone wants to try it.
Last edited by Jesse on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Flight cage turned on it's side, larger now (ideas)

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:40 am

Jesse

Welcome to the Forum from Canada,

You know, I have considered that idea, but have never tried it. Did you place some sort of trays underneath ?

What species of birds do you have?
Sadly I can't see your picture
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:44 am

Hi thanks, I fixed the picture. Not used to forums lol.
I don't have trays, I use newspaper and its working out fine.
I have 4 societies in there and 4 spice.
I'd like to add Cordon Blues. I'm not sure if I will put them in there or get another cage though.
It has saved me money. I can add another foot with hardware wire which would make it over 60 inches long. It's nice to see them fly!

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Jesse

Hi from Massachusetts. What a good idea !! =D> Many of the cages for sale are usually too high for some of the smaller birds (some are almost twice as high as wide). Do you have it on a table or did you make a stand ? They sell plastic trays to put washing machines on, or dog crate trays that could be used on the bottom, but it seems to be working fine for you the way it is.

What can be accomplished with a few dollars and a little bit of time !! Is there anything we won't do for our bird :D

Looks like I see a couple of Zebras !!
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:22 pm

haha, the zebras are OUT! I wanted to see if they would be ok in there now that it's longer and by morning they were back in their cage for havoc and mischeif. :shock:
I'm making them a long cage as well but right now they get let out in my bird room to fly every day. They are super fun, so I'd like them to also have a place to play.
Fortunately, it was built for birds so ....... I just clean it every day. My family may think I am a little crazy. :D

The newspaper is working great, I don't see a reason for pans and the main reason is that without newspaper they barely come down to the bottom where I have the minerals and veggies and egg etc.

I would like them to utilize the entire space. I'll add more plants so they feel more privacy on the bottom. I want to find plants that look like tall grass to put around the bottom. Things I can wash.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Jesse

Looks very nice.
I think it's a great idea Jesse, and I'm glad it's working out so well for you.

You mention Societies and Spices. I'm seeing two Zebras as well.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:28 pm

Read above :-BD
It was an experiment that did not go well lol. Fortunately I was around to watch them.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Jesse

What did those Zebras do??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
~Elana~

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:56 pm

They flew back and forth driving them crazy and chased them off their perches and food. I love them but by themselves.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:15 am

Jesse

LOL....
As I always say, Zebras will be Zebras :D
~Elana~

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 am

:D

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:28 am

Jesse

Its a very pretty setup! It is nice to watch the birds go back and forth, sometimes doing fluid figure 8s and just enjoying what they were made to do...fly.

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:31 am

Yes, I do like to see them fly instead of hop. :D I wish I had the guts to convert the room into an Aviary.

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:51 am

Jesse
Welcome to the forum! I currently have a large cage on it's side also. I have a pair of Rosey Burkes and a pair of Splendids (Scarlet Chested Grasskeets) housed there. The cage I'm using has a lot of doors that of course slide side ways to open sense it's laying on it's side, so I use small hair clips to keep the doors safely latched closed. I also use newspaper on the bottom and it works really well.

Best of luck with your new set up!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Jesse
Pip
Pip

Post by Jesse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:12 am

I'd love to see a picture if you have one.