Can You Imagine?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Can You Imagine?

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi Folks,

I was going over "birds on Kijiji" in my area, and came across this.

Now I'm not looking for Budgies, but this cage caught my attention...

Can you imagine keeping two birds in this cage?
I wouldn't keep a mouse in something so small, let alone two birds :-O

How can people be so misinformed, or simply so cruel?
Attachments
Screenshot_20170303-170929-360x576-162x259.png
Screenshot_20170303-170929-360x576-162x259.png (22.68 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Can You Imagine?

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Lack of education is one thing, but this is clearly lack of compassion.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:42 pm

lovezebs MisterGribs
Something is definitely wrong with the person who can look at this setup and think it's OK....

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Jen Seems to me that they just don't care. :evil:
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:51 pm

MisterGribs
I call it ignorance....How can someone not look at their pet...bird, cat, dog, horse....and not ask themselves "how would I like to be ___" (pet) living in their environment? I see ads all the time from folks who are trying to give or sell their pet because they admit not having the time to spend with them. At least they can see that their pet is unhappy and they are trying to find a good home. Most people don't understand the word "commitment" and what that means. Pretty sad....

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Jen   MisterGribs

And they want $150.00 for this ?

I should contact them, and see what they want for the birds alone, without this torture chamber cage.

Young Budgies at the Pet Shop, go for $22.00
On kijiji, you can usually get Budgies, for as little as $5.00-$10.00.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 pm

I can't figure out how to get it to let me actually look at that pic as an attachment so I can't see any of the details.

But every single budgie specific forum I've tried to get involved with has a sticky somewhere telling people that an 18" square cage is the right size for a budgie - a bird that is at least 2x if not 3x as big as a finch. So I have no faith whatsoever in anything else on any of those forums. If they can't see that keeping a bird in an 18x18 cage where it cannot even hope to climb about much, let alone fly, then nothing they have to say on those forums has any credibility.

A budgie needs MORE room than a finch, not less.

So the person who owns that cage may have come across similar disinformation re budgies on the interwebs and think they are Doin' It Right when they are actually Doin' It Wrong.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:41 pm

It makes me angry. It's just deliberate cruelty.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Sojourner I liked the answer a parrot rehabilitation worker gave when asked how much space was enough for a bird.

''1000 square KM''

But realistically, bigger is ALWAYS better.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Here's the link to the ad...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-birds/calgary/tw ... 1243747891

So that you can get a better look at this thing.

I e-mailed them to see what they would want for just the 2 birds.
We'll see if they respond.
Last edited by lovezebs on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Elana~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 pm

lovezebs ''Buggies''

That explains it- it's meant to be an insect enclosure :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:07 pm

MisterGribs

Yea, people can't spell worth a darn.

Then there are the one's who simply don't have a clue of what they're talking about.

I've seen some ads, that just make me shake my head...

Sparrows for sale (selling Zebra Finches).
Finches for sale (selling Lovebirds).
Red 'Factory' Canaries (not Red Factor). I've always wanted to ask where their Factory is, and what other birds their Factory produces, lol.
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:22 pm

MisterGribs wrote: Sojourner I liked the answer a parrot rehabilitation worker gave when asked how much space was enough for a bird.

''1000 square KM''

But realistically, bigger is ALWAYS better.
Well not so much for a travel cage! The cage they are in is too small for a full-time cage (I have a pair of F040s waiting for me to feel energetic enough to alter and assemble to make a ginormous flight cage) but too big for a travel cage. Can't even fit it through the door of my car.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:37 pm

lovezebs I imagined the canaries themselves are good, reliable factory workers.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Sojourner Yeah, travel cages don't really count. I kind of think of the kennels we cram our cats into when they go to the vet.

I am super stoked about some of the cages I see on here! I'm relatively proud of mine, but I would love to make it bigger.

I admit I've always liked birds, but as far as pets go I started with one pair of zeebs and now I am an addict.