Can You Imagine?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Can You Imagine?

Post by Sheather » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:54 pm

That's a very small cage but I wouldn't suspect it's cruelty - they have toys, etc. Just a lack of education. It's an old cage, maybe an heirloom, maybe they saw their grandma keeps birds in it. My great grandma used to keep budgies and zebra finches in a collection of cages no more than ten inches wide in any direction and did so for decades. The cages were from the sixties but she still had some birds in the nineties. She simply hadn't learned any different.

Do to very serious space constraints, after serious downsizing and an unexpected move back in with my parents I am keeping my current single parakeet in a 16 x 16 x 18 "starter cage". It's not the smallest one, but it's pretty small. But he has room for a ladder, swings, and three varied perches (one pedi perch, a big grapevine branch, and an edible chew perch) plus at least four toys which can be swapped out and he still can flap his wings, jump, and climb around. He comes out a lot.

More is better, I mean when I was able I didn't cage my birds at all and they flew loose in a personalized room and occasionally the whole apartment, and if I had any more space, I'd have him in a 30 x 18 like my society finches are in, but I can't do that now.
~Dylan

~~~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:55 pm

lovezebs wrote: Here's the link to the ad...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-birds/calgary/tw ... 1243747891

So that you can get a better look at this thing.

I e-mailed them to see what they would want for just the 2 birds.
We'll see if they respond.
Beautiful cage, but obviously far too small for any bird.

It's probably big enough for the "buggies" they are selling, though personally I do everything within my power to keep buggies out of my house. Arachnids and insects are just Not My Thing. :twisted:
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 pm

I think birds that can never come out should have very large enclosures - 30 x 18 minimum and ideally much more. If you let your pets out regularly you can get away with less, I think. I have always let all my birds out including finches.
~Dylan

~~~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:26 pm

lovezebs

The cage seems suited for a person that collects Hello Kitty items and dresses their hamsters in knitted sweaters.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Babs

I'm pretty sure a person wouldn't fit in that cage! LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 pm

MisterGribs

I an just see them marching in, carrying spray millet over their shoulders for lunch, clocking in, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:27 am

Sheather I agree, two of my finches just don't go back into their cage anymore.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:28 am

Babs That describes my wife, but not even she would keep birds in such a tiny cage. She's not even satisfied with the one we have, which is pretty big. I can get inside it.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:30 am

lovezebs HAHA I'll draw you a picture

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:48 am

MisterGribs

I've actually had a response from a "Mr Farrukh" about the Budgies.
The man has to be a little nuts 8-} . He wants $70.00 for the two Budgies. Like that's ever going to happen :roll: .
Attachments
Screenshot_20170304-003818.png
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:43 am

Those must be some really special buggies!
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:16 am

Sheather

Hi Dylan,

I imagine that those Budgies, are regular birds (if a little atrophied for lack of movement).

This fellow simply thinks he's going to make some money off someone who doesn't know any better :AR! Can you tell, that people like that just piss me off?

As mentioned above, the prices for Budgies here are not even close to that.

It's tempting to get back to him, and ask if maybe he meant "seventeen' not 'seventy' dollars, lol. However with my luck, he'd probably email me back saying, ok, come get them..... and I really don't need anymore Budgies :roll: ,
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:51 am

Yeah baby budgies cost $16 - $22 dollars here, depending on the store.
~Dylan

~~~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:00 pm

Sojourner

Hahaha! It would be fun watching them try, eh?

MisterGribs
If she knits a sweater for a hamster and you don't post it, I will be very upset. *giggle

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:07 pm

lovezebs

"Does the 70 dollars include their cute little little beaded prison? Is it a magical cage? If you rub the cage will the budgies turn into genies and grant my every wish??"

Ohhhhh please PLEASE text that message back to him for me!!! :YMDEVIL:

Let me know how he responds!! :))