Window Flights

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Window Flights

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:08 am

I know that some have asked for pics of my window flights, so i took a few videos of the window wells that i have converted into flights for my finches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYrbu9FMiL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEoSCZchspg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y79EnylynYM
OWLS, GOULDIANS, SOCIETIES, AND FEW ZEBRAS

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Window Flights

Post by MisterGribs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:21 am

SOO COOL Chris!!! I would love to do something like this, but unfortunately it's far too cold here year round.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 am

Chrismurdoch3

I just love the idea of the window aviary. Great videos, still love the one with the Gouldians eating !!! Thanks for posting :D
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:42 pm

How do you clean that gravel?

Also - are these windows below grade?
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Chrismurdoch3

Looks great, and biirdies are healthy and happy looking.

How do you manage the temperature control... if it gets too hot, or too cold?
Also, if you get a really heavy rainfall, is there ever a danger of flooding these window wells?

Regretably, for some reason I couldn't get much sound, so if you mentioned these topics I couldn't hear them.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:28 pm

MisterGribs
In Utah we have pretty cold winters as well with temps reaching to 0 F and sometimes below. The heater that is in the flights in the video does a great job at keeping the entire flight very warm even on the coldest of nights.

@lem2bert
Thanks it has been one of my favorite flights for my birds and since a kid i have always wondered if i could keep birds in my window wells they seem to really like it I'm going on 3 years of having these window flights.

@Sojourner
I have a shop vac that i have put a grate over the opening and i run it through the gravel and it sucks up any spilt seeds or bird droppings without sucking up the gravel it has worked quite nicely. I will also spray down the gravel every once in a while to wash off any bird droppings that are stuck to the gravel.
Yes it is below grade but it still receives good sunlight for good amounts of time during the day but also shade. It also keeps the birds cooler in the hot summer months and helps to keep the warmth in, in the cooler months.

@lovezebs
The heater that i have in the flight has many setting to keeping a steady temperature in the winter. I breed my gouldians during the winter and this year we had pretty steady temperatures of 10-25 F for several months in a row, but my heater was able to keep the flight at a good 80-85 F and all the chicks did wonderfully.
In the summer since the flight is below grade it keeps temps several degrees below whats outside so that helps to keep them cooler they also have several shade spots throughout because the flight is up next to the house that they can go to and hide from the sun.
In Utah it doesn't typically rain long enough for major flooding, and because the flight is right up next to my house the roof that hangs over my house prevents most of the rain from getting into the flight . Also the gravel that is in the bottom of the flight works wonderfully for draining any water that gets into the flight. Hopefully that answers your question.

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:29 pm

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Chrismurdoch3

It did, thanks.

If they're breeding for you and succesfully raising their chicklets, then they must be happy. Seems to be a great idea :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:54 pm

Wow, you did an aswesome job, super cool! I bet your guests love it.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:59 pm

MisterGribs
Thanks, yeah it is definitely a hit and most guests the first thing they want to do is go watch the birdies in the window :D

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:01 am

Chrismurdoch3 best decision ever!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:54 am

Chrismurdoch3

I've been waiting forever for that video! Hahaha! I just love it! I can't compliment enough on how brilliant that idea is! =D> Birdies look very happy! :YMDAYDREAM:

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Babs
Thanks so much it has been really fun having them. Im hoping this summer i can start construction on an outdoor flight for these guys and then i can hopefully add a few more species to the mix.

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:14 pm

It's definitely a unique idea. I love it. Thanks for sharing!
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Tish
Thanks