Repair or replace?!

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Repair or replace?!

Post by Moon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Several of my cages are showing metal under the paint. I've replaced several of them with newer cages, but this is getting expensive. Should I try and find a way to just repaint? Or replace the sides that are showing wear and tear?
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Repair or replace?!

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Do you have hookbills, or finches?

Hookbills chew everything, and it would be best to investigate further before painting. Finches almost never chew their cage, and there should be a lot more leeway. I've spray painted finch cages with Rustoleum, and never saw a problem.

Before painting, you can take the cage to a self-service car wash and spray clean it really thoroughly.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 pm

They've banned people from washing cages at the carwashes here.
New Mexico

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:30 am

Moon

How about the SELF-SERVICE car washes? There's never anybody at any of those places that I've ever seen. No attendants, I mean.

I wonder why they care. What's the difference between washing a cage and washing a car that is parked under trees? LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 pm

All I know is that a woman got a ticket for washing her parrot cages at a car wash. I asked around and found that most if not all car washes banned the bird cages from their premises. They claim that owners should be able to wash the cages at home as the cost is less than the car wash. We also have drought conditions, so that might be why. I really don't know. It costs me nothing to do so at home as compared to the car wash.

I'm more interested in just getting the cages fixed. I just don't know where to go since there is no local shops that are willing to go through the trouble of it.
New Mexico

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Moon

Wow, that's weird! But possibly it was connected to the drought. Probably not worth the risk at any rate.

Can you post a picture of some of the damage? If its not very extensive and there aren't hookbills involved maybe painting on some of that rubberized tool-handle stuff would work.

The other option might be to have them painted or re-powder coated at an automotive paint place. I have NO idea what that might cost but I do know some people who build their own cages report taking their zinc-coated hardware cloth cages in to be powder coated like that. Of course there is also the issue of whether the new coating/paint will stick to the existing stuff, and having to remove cage doors and pretty much totally break the cages down to get that done, lest you find your doors painted shut, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:29 pm

My boyfriend is a welder. He's supposed to be certified in the lighter metals, so I'm going to ask him for help in construction of a larger cage of sturdier materials. I've already located what I need and have resorted to mix and match of the cages I have. I've discarded the cages with damage to my garden. There are bird safe paints, but arm and leg there.
New Mexico