canary, yes or no?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

canary, yes or no?

Post by Tish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 pm

My boyfriend wants to buy a yellow canary that he seen at petsmart, however I told him my cage is full. I have a double flight cage with 10 society finches, could a canary fit in it? or am I right about it being full?
Attachments
20170127_142822.jpg
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: canary, yes or no?

Post by Sojourner » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:36 pm

It depends. They ARE societies so the chances they'll pick on the canary or make it anxious are fairly low. Canaries are actually fairly shy birds - zebras would drive them crazy with their constant activity.

But with 10 societies in the cage it IS full. You probably COULD put one single canary in there and get by - but it doesn't sound like you WANT to, really.

Just tell him the cage is full, because that's true. If you really really wanted a canary you could PROBABLY get away with it, but it doesn't sound like that is the case - and it would be pushing the limits of both the cage and all the birds that would have to live in it.

While in general a canary would normally get along with societies, with THAT MANY of them it very well could overload the limited resources of the more retiring canary. I wouldn't do it myself.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 pm

It's not that I don't want to do it, but I don't want to overload my cage or cause an issue with my societies. The canary is lovely, and I guess I do want it too. However my societies well being is most important right now.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 pm

As Sojourner said. Also, remember that while it may not matter greatly for Society finches, the length of day does matter to a canary.

Canaries have to have gradually longer days from late winter into summer, and gradually shorter days from late summer into winter. In other words, the same number of hours of light each day as outside. And then covered (or no lights in the room) at night.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Tish I also think your flight cage is at its limits,but if you and your boyfriend really like the canary they do great by therself would you have room for another cage to keep just the canary in?I have my canary in two flight cages that I joined it is a little over 6ft long by a little over 2ft wide in with two pairs of waxbills,they are in my bird room with a cage of society and two cage of gouldian's.All Lights are on a timer go on at 6:00 6:30 AM and off between 6:00 6:30 PM there are also a strand of blue lights over the doorway (on 24 hrs )for at night and I don't cover my cages (there too big) my canary has done fine under these conditions.My opinion is there not that much different then the finches,after all they are a finch.Best of luck with your decision.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:12 pm

I think everyone is right my cage is at the limit. I think I need to think about owning a canary a little more, though my boyfriend really wants it, but I don't want to get in over my head.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Tish

Societies and a Canary should get along just fine.

Luciano, lived with only Socies for a long time. In fact he fell in love with a Socie girl, and went out of his way to attempt the Society male song (it was bloody awful by the way, lol).

I am surprised by some of the comments regarding Canaries being shy and retiring :shock: .

That has never been my experience in all the years. All of the Canaries I have come across, both mine and the odd 80 or so that my old Italian breeder had, were proud and bold birds.

Check this old post of mine out, lol.....

" Post subject: Teddy the terrorist gets a lesson...PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:

As some of you good folks already know, I have a flight which houses Luciano (canary) , Pauly and Petey ( society boys), and Max and Micky (zebras). As some on the forum already know as well, this little group live quite happily together. My other two zebra boys Teddy and Timmy (aka the terrorists) used to live with the rest of the family, until they had to be evicted due to unacceptable behaviour. They moved into their own apartment.

Lately I had been experimenting with placing T&T back in the flight while I clean out their cage. This has had mixed results, with everybody getting along, sort of (some days better than others).

Now let me mention here, that Luciano (canary) has had tender feelings for Petey (society) for quite sometime now. He likes to hang out with him, groom him and so on.

Enter T&T this am. The usual beeps and meeps and zooming around begins like every morning, as I'm chopping veggies, washing little dishes etc. Teddy and Timmy chasing each other, chasing Micky and Max. Micky and Max , chasing them back and everybody's happy. Then Teddy decided to go over to the dark side. For no apparent reason, he went after Petey, who was just an innocent observer. Poor Petey went fluttering into the air with a startled sqwack, and all hell broke loose.
I have never before seen such an enraged canary with murder in his eye. My sweet, mild Luciano turned into an angry hawk right before my eyes. He tackled Teddy in mid air and threw him to the ground with wings extended, beak wide open, hissing a battle cry while bouncing all over him.

At that point there was a lot of screaming going on and some of it was the birds too. The fight broke up with no physical harm done and Teddy and Timmy got tossed back into their cage so fast that their feathered little heads were spinning.

OMG! I'm too old to break up fights folks. It took me half an hour and two cups of tea to get my blood pressure to head in the right direction."

Now Tish, does that strike you as a timid bird???
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:03 am

I would agree that canaries are tough cookies. They don't let themselves be picked on, and will be the boss with most other finches, especially around food.
~Dylan

~~~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:37 am

lovezebs nope that doesn't sound like a timid bird. I do want it, but not so sure that I want 2 cages. Guess I kinda hoped I was wrong about my cage being at its limit, but I guess I'am not. Need to do some thinking, see if I want another cage around.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 am

Tish

Personally, I think they would be fine together, ( just my opinion).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:33 am

Tish

There are a lot of different opinions and a lot of experience on this subject. :D

Personally I would not put a canary in a cage with 10 societies. I have my canaries in 32" flight cages by themselves and that is the way they seem to like it !!! :D I have one that seems to like it in the birdroom with the other birds and his mirror and one that likes to be in the area of my house where the action is !!! However it is your decision to make and whichever one you make keep us posted !! :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:59 pm

I guess "shy" is perhaps not the right word, but "retiring" is, I think. Too much activity make them anything from anxious to cranky. But mostly on the anxiety/nervous end. They just prefer their own company.

I occasionally toy with the idea of canaries. Then I remember what a pain they were when my mother was breeding them.

Its not that they would get plucked, they just prefer a less chaotic environment than they would get with zebras, and possibly with that many societies.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:17 pm

I have canaries with societies, zebras and goulds, they get along just fine, don't think it would be a problem there.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:54 am

I would say a canary would be fine in here, if you can meet its seasonal lighting requirements. That is a huge cage.
~Dylan

~~~