I think I've made up my mind

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

I think I've made up my mind

Post by Tish » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Like the title says, I think I've made up my mind about what species I want to add to my empty single flight cage. I was thinking a yellow American canary and 2 lady gouldian's. Would this work even though it's not an even number of birds? Will these 2 species get along? At what age can you identify the sex of a canary? I would of decided on 2 canaries, but they seem hard to sex and I've been told 2 of the same gender won't get along. How loud is an American canary get?
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: I think I've made up my mind

Post by Sheather » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:56 pm

They'll get along. Canaries are fairly solitary, so they won't need (or usually want) a friend of their own kind. The gouldians will keep eachother company. Two females or a male/female can get along in a large cage like that, but the male may completely stop singing. My male hasn't sung since his mate started laying eggs five days ago. He's active, eager, happy, but with a partner already, he seems to have no inclination to sing. And that's fine - I bought him for his looks. But if you wanted a songbird, that would be undesirable.

American singers are a loud breed, a single male will sing almost constantly except when eating and sleeping at night. It's indeed because they want to attract a mate, but it doesn't mean they're miserable - it's just their nature.

They usually start singing boldly by six or seven months and you can be reasonably sure of a male by then. Some males bloom late, though, so you can't be sure you have a female even if it doesn't sing much bu this age. Some hens also sing, but not as well.

It's best to only buy a bird you've HEARD singing because otherwise you may get the wrong bird. My first canary was a hen sold as a male. We called "Steve" a he for six months until she started laying eggs.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Tish

Check out this guy, and it will give you an idea...

https://youtu.be/CZAc3GMa1T4

Canaries, can be pretty loud.
He will sing, especially morning and sunset, and if you have apartment neighbors, they will probably be able to hear him through the walls, although not loudly.

The combination of Canary and Gouldian, is a good one. Some of my Canaries, are housed with my Gouldians with absolutely no issues.
Why not go with two male Gouldians, then you won't run into any egg (egg binding) issues. Male Canary, and male Gouldians will be fine together.

When can you sex Canaries?
When the males begin to sing (which with some boys can be at a fairly young age).
If you go through a breeder, he/she, should be able to tell you which are their boys.

In a Pet Shop, very often they are not willing to guarantee gender, so unless you hear the birdie sing, it can get tricky.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Okay a canary won't work for me, it's to loud my my sister who lives next door will have a issue if she hears the birds. She can't hear my 10 society finches, so they don't bother her. Maybe I'll just get 2 gouldian's or how loud does 2 zebra finches get? Are they constantly singing?
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 pm

Tish And you thought you made up your mind ( : I have two female zebras and the are very active but they only beeb,not sing if your sister doesn't mind 10 society maybe 2 little peeps wouldn't either.Sometimes the advice from so many differnt bird lovers can be confusing take your time best of luck on your decision.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Keep in mind, canary loud is NOT parrot loud.
It's birdsong.
It's no louder than the birds outside, which your sister must hear as well.
~Dylan

~~~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 pm

She does hear the birds outside and she hates it. She can't understand why I would ever want to have them inside my apartment. However if she don't hear them in her part of the house, then she's okay with it, but I'am only allow a couple more birds, because she's my landlord. It's between gouldian's or zebra finches. It's so hard to pick my last birds. I thought I made up my mind, guess I was wrong. What would you guys choose zebra's or gouldian's?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Tish
That sounds almost like amusia, where music sounds absolutely horrible to those with the condition.
I have two gouldian and they are relatively easy to care for and keep in good health, granted mine have not undergone a compressed moult yet. They require more space than zebra finches, and should be put on an austerity diet for part of the year to mimic off-season and keep them from getting fat. My pair is compatible with my six society finches, though they do chase and hiss at them occasionally. The male sings more than both of my male society finches combined, but he is very quiet and can only be heard well if you are in the same room. The female, on the other hand, is a lot louder with her constant chirping, but still not nearly as loud as a parakeet or male canary. They may kill a single gouldian if it is introduced while they are breeding (not a good idea for any species).
Zebra finches are hardy and can be quite aggressive, especially during the breeding season, and are considered a pushy species. They have been known to kill other birds they are housed with and may also interbreed with society finches. They are supposed to be extremely prolific, so controlling their breeding may be a hassle.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:44 pm

If you don't prefer Gouldians for their brighter colors, I'd recommend the Zebras.They are both more lively and hardy, and cheaper, too. Listen to them in the per shop first though to decide if they are not too noisy for you.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 pm

Tish

Trust me, if your sis won't like hearing a Canary, the meeping and beeping of Zebras will drive her nuts.

I would recommend Gouldians, two males, two females.
They are stunning to look at, and their songs are a soft lisping whisper, that no one could mind.
Plus, if they breed for you, you could sell the young birds for a nice little profit :D , get your own place, and have as many birds as you like, lol.

Gouldian song...

https://youtu.be/HmBkFlRsx54
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:40 am

lovezebs
That gouldian seems louder than mine. I remember the first time I heard my gouldian sing; he was so quiet I was convinced something was wrong! And before entering into the song, he gives two "schreep" go-away calls, two "shree" come-here calls, and then a kind of hissing noise. No wonder the female seems confused by him...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:51 am

Icearstorm

Like many species, some males may have a somewhat softer song than others.

I have found the Gouldian song, to be very soft, with some males sounding like they're almost singing under their breath.

I can actually mimic their song so well, that I can start off a round, and they will join me (which is quite cool in my books :- :- :- ).
~Elana~

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:30 am

Spice finches are extremely soft-spoken, very peaceful, passive birds. Also mix well with societies should you ever wish to combine them.

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 am

lovezebs wrote: I can actually mimic their song so well, that I can start off a round, and they will join me (which is quite cool in my books :- :- :- ).
@lovezebs i would like to see this.

I can do the same with zebras, but it's not big deal, since they would promptly respond even to a motorcycle horn.

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:47 am

Can you keep two male Zebs together? I've read they are feisty. Don't want to breed- just two pets this time around. Are they fun to watch like Societies?
(just throwing another idea in there...trying to decide on my next birds, too)