uncertain about lighting

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
yossiantokolitz
Pip
Pip

uncertain about lighting

Post by yossiantokolitz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Ugly as sin I know but that's only a first step if that. That's what I am trying to find out. I would have loved to have M&M lighting but I see they only ship to USA & Canada. And here I am at what sometimes seems to be the end of the world. So I have to improvise. Pic is very bad , but is it a reasonable solution? 14w 1043 lumens. Not too much? If it works I'll build a top that can hold the light inside like you do with aquariums.
The problem is that when I find a mate for Yasha cages will have to stack. Since there is no DIY board I have to bother people in the housing forum.
By the way does anybody knows if M&M leds produces U.V as well?
Can I improvise reasonable led lighting? I am looking for some technical information such as necessary light output levels and such. Cage is 30X18X18.
thanks
Yossi
Attachments
cage lighting.jpg

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: uncertain about lighting

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:28 am

There's nothing ugly about that, it looks good to me! As you said, a reflector over the bulb will help. Then your eye is drawn to what's in the cage rather than to the bulb.

14 watt fluorescent is the amount of light I'd use for a cage like that.

UV lights don't help the bird, but they do help us to enjoy the bird's colors. There is a lot of (I think) crazy information out there about UV lights. Mostly presented by companies that sell lights.

Stacked cages can have the light fixture inside the cage. Or, a stack of cages can have a longer fluorescent light along the side of the stack.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: uncertain about lighting

Post by debbie276 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:22 am

In my signature you will see 2 links to excellent articles about lighting and the benefits of getting the right kalvin rating. Birds get more from the light then just uv, I would supplement for vitamin D either way.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56