Large cage/ small aviary

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Large cage/ small aviary

Post by sparrowsong98 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Ok, so I want to resize the flock from 2-6, meaning that I need a larger cage. How should I make one/ where should I get one? I want to spend less than $100 to do this.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Large cage/ small aviary

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 29, 2017 8:15 pm

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Wed May 31, 2017 12:05 pm

We built our own flight a few years ago. It is 4 ft wide, 3 ft deep and 4 feet high. We built a stand for it as well, which is on casters, so it's easy to move around. I used white oak and stained it with a marine finish, as I wanted to be able to take it outside and hose it down when it needed a good cleaning. That probably wasn't necessary though... I think I've done that twice in nearly 4 years. I used the plastic hardware cloth, 1/2" mesh, for the caging; one 30 ft roll was enough to do the entire cage, with quite a bit left over. I also installed a full length door on each end and put a 6" drop door on the bottom of the front side to allow easy access to the food dishes and floor (to change paper or whatever is on the bottom). The birds all fly up when you approach the cage, so there has never been any risk of escape when using the floor access door. It was pretty simple build with a few wood screws and a staple gun... it's just a big box.

The 'How many will fit' calculator says this will house 6-8 birds. We have 6 Waxbills in it and they are fine. No squabbles over roosting space, at all.

D

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:51 pm

DamonIRB Do you know how much it cost to make?
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Wed May 31, 2017 6:07 pm

sparrowsong98 wrote: DamonIRB Do you know how much it cost to make?
I think the total cost of materials was around $140. Keep in mind that I used white oak and a rather expensive stain to seal the wood. You could easily cut out quite a bit of cost by going with a less expensive wood and an ordinary stain. The one I used is a 'marine' stain, intended for use when painting boats. It's holding up well, though. :)

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 am

Quick and easy, buy two of the petco 30"x18"x18" cages, take off an end from each, and join them together with nylon zip ties.

You get a cage that's 60 inches long, 18x18" wide/high. Plenty big enough for 6 finches. Put the perches crossing front to back (across the 18" sides) at various positions throughout the cage, and getting branches instead of the plain dowels is better. Leave a clear flight path through the middle so that they can fly the full five feet length. They love it.

If you order the cages online from the petco site, they are usually cheaper than the $50 each they sell them for in the store.

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 am

Or just get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products- ... light+cage

currently on sale for $99.99 with free shipping if you have amazon prime.

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Gracie85 wrote: Quick and easy, buy two of the petco 30"x18"x18" cages, take off an end from each, and join them together with nylon zip ties.

You get a cage that's 60 inches long, 18x18" wide/high. Plenty big enough for 6 finches. Put the perches crossing front to back (across the 18" sides) at various positions throughout the cage, and getting branches instead of the plain dowels is better. Leave a clear flight path through the middle so that they can fly the full five feet length. They love it.

If you order the cages online from the petco site, they are usually cheaper than the $50 each they sell them for in the store.
Gracie85 Th only problem with that is... well I still am a kid, so I live at home, and my mom was like "One cage, and no frankencages (aka putting a bunch of cages together by messing wiht the panels and sutff) So it has to be one peice. I did find a wonderful flight cage I am trying to get right now.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny