Converting a shelf into an aviary/cage

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Lacybug
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Converting a shelf into an aviary/cage

Post by Lacybug » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Hello finchy folks. :)
So I've been contemplating buying a bookshelf to convert into a birdcage somehow and was looking for any advice if you have it.

Looking at this here:
https://www.target.com/p/carson-horizon ... lsrc=aw.ds

First of all, is it safe? It says "vermeer" and I've seen mention of it releasing toxic fumes. Is that true?

I'm planning on removing (aka, not installing) all inside shelves, and closing up the front with a panel of acrylic/plexiglass. The next question would be how to install perches, doors, lighting and ventilation. I assume it would just be necessary to cut into the sides of the bookshelf but I have no idea where to start.

I wonder if it would be "easier" to just start from scratch and build my own from the bottom up...
Poe (NG) & Little Beep (NG/Pied)
Gandalf (NG/Pied) & Peep (CFW)
Sir Richard (Penguin/Pied) & Gwendolyn (Fawn Penguin)
R2-D2 (CFW) & Penelope (CFW)
Nyota the Senegal Parrot.
Crease the hand-tame pegleg (CFW)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Converting a shelf into an aviary/cage

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Lacybug

There are a few members who have used pieces of furniture to make flights. It usually turns out really nice.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:31 am

Lacybug

I am not familiar with vermeer, but many products that give off fumes (plastic, Polycrylic, etc) will stop after a few weeks. Hopefully vermeer is the same.

You may want to paint the inside with white or cream to make the cage lighter. Fluorescent lights should be installed at the top. This can be done by cutting out the top, screening the opening, and then placing the light hood on top. The screen will also help with ventilation.

For a shorter flight, dowel perches may be installed on opposite sides by nailing them in or drilling out holes and then gluing the dowels in with wood glue. If the holes are drilled to the exact size needed, the dowels can just be hammered in.

My dad and I built the flight pictured below. It costed around $100 (quite a bit more if you include all the equipment we already had on hand). We finished it after several months, but this was primarily because we didn't work on it very often. Building the flight alone would have been fairly difficult. Nails in the sides support two removable perches, and screws in the back fit removable nest boxes. No perches are permanently installed in the sides; branches are placed in and can be replaced fairly easily. Sand is the substrate, and it works very well. Converting furniture is probably easier, but may be more expensive depending on the materials you have on hand.

I may draw some ideas for that piece of furniture and post them later.
Attachments
My flight
My flight

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:20 am

Lacybug if you go to utube there are many great ideas,I found one on that site that shows step by step directions of building a avairy in screened panels that you can take down and set back up.he built it in his garage then brought the screened panels inside and bolted togeter,If I had to do it over I would make one like this ,but have to much money into flight cages.Good Luck and be sure to keep us posted on your idea
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Lacybug
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Lacybug » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Thank you everyone!

That helps a lot to visualize ideas, Icearstorm. :) If you had time to draw up something I would greatly appreciate it but that's a lot of work so don't worry too much about it!

I already have a large wire flight cage for my birds; I'm wanting to convert furniture/acrylic to help control seed mess! With 12 finches it's a daily battle, I'm sure you know. #-o
Poe (NG) & Little Beep (NG/Pied)
Gandalf (NG/Pied) & Peep (CFW)
Sir Richard (Penguin/Pied) & Gwendolyn (Fawn Penguin)
R2-D2 (CFW) & Penelope (CFW)
Nyota the Senegal Parrot.
Crease the hand-tame pegleg (CFW)

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Lacybug

Here are a few very general ideas; I will probably need to draw more for it to make sense. I should get some graph paper and take photos of the more technical parts of my flight when I get back.

The main redesign considerations are doors, side paneling, and tray. The inside generally can be made with less restrictions, so planning can wait for later if needed.

Hopefully the drawing is sharp enough, or I will have to get another photo.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:20 pm

I've done that sort of thing. Here are a few points that I learned over time:

Acrylic gets messy fast and is hard to clean without scratching it. Plus, it eliminates any sort of air flow.

Small under-cabinet fluorescent or LED lights can be installed IN the cabinet at the top, and really do a nice job of lighting the aviary.

You can get good-looking wire for the front, cut to size, with a door, from a rabbit cage supply company such as http://www.klubertanz.com/

As mentioned, paint the inside with white or cream high gloss enamel that can be easily cleaned.

The shelf brackets supplied for the shelves you aren't going to use can be used to support branches for perches.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries