Cage placement

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Scritch
Pip
Pip

Cage placement

Post by Scritch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:54 am

Hello, I'm still a newbie so if this sort of post is supposed to be on another thread please let me know.

So I'll be getting a canary soon, however I'm having problems with cage placement.

Possibility 1: Bedroom

Pros:
1. One of the quietest parts of the house.
2.My door can be shut to keep the cat and dog out.
3.It is the also the most bird-safe part of the house for free-flying.
Cons:
1.Does not have constant ambience of people walking about.
2.It feels like the bird will never become used to the cat and the dog, and the latter won't get used to the bird (by this I mean taught to leave the bird alone.)
3. No table in my room is small enough to keep the cat off if it did get in.
4.Possibilty of me getting a respiratory disease. (However I'm looking into air purifiers and I'm willing to vacuum often.)

Possibility 2: Living room.

Pros:
1.Constant ambience from people and allows the bird to become accustomed to us.
2.Allows other pets to get the message to leave bird alone.
Cons:
1.My family uses bird-dangerous cookware. I'm afraid fumes would waft into the living room (its next to the kitchen.
2.This room can be incredibly loud when guests visit and dogs bark at them.
3.Not a good place for the bird to free fly. It's simply too dangerous.

No other possibilties since they are inappropriate places for a bird or parents do not agree with it.
The office may be a possibilty but parents aren't enthusiastic about that option.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Cage placement

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:18 am

Scritch
I keep birds in my bedroom and it works well. Depending on the setup, you can allow people in so the birds become calmer. The benefit of having a door becomes apparent when you go to clean the cage and a bird slips out. Be incredibly careful with other pets; my dog seemed used to the birds but killed one when it fell on the floor and I didn't notice.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Scritch

I would go with bedroom, in an area where there is a bit of natural sunlight.

Cats and dogs, can be a real danger to birds (even when in a cage).

My small dog caught and killed my sweet little Linnie when he was free flying. She jumped right into the air and caught him.

My cat, grabbed two birds right through the bars of a cage. One survived, one was mangled and died the next day. Same kitty, snatched a juvie Gouldian right through the space between the door and the floor in my washroom where the Gouldie youngsters were free flying. She snapped his neck in less than a second.

So I would be extremely careful with the furry crew.

Personally, I would hang a shelf on the wall in your bedroom and place the cage there, with reinforcement of cage to wall with some sort of cup hooks.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:36 am

lovezebs My dogs are afraid of the finches. They walk in my room to sleep ( Really old dogs) and they her them sing, and they run out so fast... =))
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Definitely the bedroom, especially if you want to let the canary out.
I would never do that in a room with a cat.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Welcome to the finch forum :mrgreen:

Definitely bedroom, I'd also put a sliding bolt or a latch on the door so it don't accidentally get opened,

The temperament of the dog depends and only you would know this but there's absolutely no way on earth would I ever ever let a cat in the same room with any birds, no cat can be 100% trusted.

At the moment I wouldn't try to put a damper on every possibility that occurs and just get yerself some birds, keep em in the bedroom and just see how yer get on, play it by ear, no doubt you'll make a few mistakes, we all did when we first started out in the bird game but soon learn by yer mistakes,

It's all one big learning curve at first and to be fair is all trial and error but as long as yer birds appear to be healthy and are fed and watered everyday you should be fine,

In due course later on no doubt you'll be wanting to know more but that's what we're all here for :-BD

Be lucky

Scritch
Pip
Pip

Post by Scritch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 am

Thank you all. I'm thinking the bedroom will work best. Since it keeps the bird the most protected.
My dog is a GS. He has a pretty high prey drive, but learns very fast not to mess with something I don't want him to. I will still keep an eye on him.
Again, thanks for the advice everyone. Good day to you all.