Building our Aviary ... Step by Step / Finches for Christmas

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Building our Aviary ... Step by Step / Finches for Chris

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Wesworld

Don't "cancel Christmas" for heaven's sake (what would Santa think [-X ) just bring the birdies in for Thanksgiving instead =)).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Sally wrote: I may not have stood on any docks in Africa
And you have not missed anything because imports from Africa come by air, not sea. ;-)
As they have for decades.

But for how much longer is anybody's guess.
All traditional sources from East and southern Africa are now closed (rumour has it that Mozambique may step in, but we must wait and see) with 2-3 countries in West Africa being the last reliable sources of imports.
The importer I know here thinks they may stop exporting soon as well, and he is planning to stock up on breeding pairs of even the most common species while still possible to get them.

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:03 am

Wesworld

Its comment like these ... that keep me from posting further ... patronizing me as if I were a five year school child with no planning skills. Surely, I hope you don’t treat all of your new members this way?

If you take exception to replies that are nothing other than thoughtful and informative, as Sally's reply was, then perhaps it would be better for you to follow your own advice as given in the quote above. There are other finch forums you can join, but it is likely you will find their replies to you patronising as well.

Sally, I'll direct this information to you (because it will probably be considered patronising if I direct it to Wesworld), the African finches that are imported here (Japan) arrive from mainly Tanzania, but also periodically from Spain and Belgium, so we are lucky enough to still have a few routes open here. And speaking of Red-Billed Firefinches, I was fortunate enough to purchase four pairs just last week, although they are $250 per pair, so not as cheap as the US unfortunately, e.g.:

Cock 1

Hen 1

Truly gorgeous finches.

Cheers.
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan
African Silverbill, Chestnut-Breasted Munia, Common Waxbill, Diamond Finch, Forbes Parrotfinch, Gold-Breasted Waxbill, Gouldian Finch, Masked Finch, Owl Finch, Painted Firetail Finch, Pintailed Parrotfinch, Plumhead Finch, Red-Billed Firefinch, Red-browed Firetail Finch, Scaly-Breasted Munia, Self Society Finch, Star Finch.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 am

hanabi

Congratulations Ross,

They are gorgeous, but at that price... #-o WOW!!!
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~