Keeping finch outdoors

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
mdwfolsom1
Pip
Pip

Keeping finch outdoors

Post by mdwfolsom1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 pm

I have Gouldians, Cordon Blues and Shaftails in an outside aviary in northern CA. In the winter it occasionally freezes and I'm wondering if I will need a heat lamp in the winter. They do have an area where they can go that is enclosed so they can get out of the rain and wind.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Keeping finch outdoors

Post by w.l. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:35 pm

I would certainly give them that lamp, and even with that wouldn't keep the cordon bleus outdoors in freezing temperatures.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:07 pm

mdwfolsom1

I would make sure that the area that is enclosed is very well insulated, with a source of heat that you can turn on when needed. Otherwise I'm not sure if they will survive the Winter.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 am

I know from personal experience that Gouldians can get through a winter with temperatures frequently below 32° F (0° C). I don't know about the other species you mention.

These Gouldians had an outdoor aviary, with a building attached that was rain and draft proof. But, no artificial heat was added.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries