Our first aviary.

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
NeroFly
Pip
Pip

Our first aviary.

Post by NeroFly » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:35 pm

We've just finished assembling our first aviary. It's a custom design, but it's made out of 20 standard 3'x6' aviary panels. Our quails will move in next week, but the next phase is to put some plants, perches and nest boxes in so we can have a few zebra finches in there too.

We're new to this, so any comments and critiques are welcome!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Our first aviary.

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:01 pm

NeroFly

That looks great.

Is there a shaded area, or will trees/shrubs provide shade?

Not sure what type of quails you have, but be careful with them around finch babies.

We have a member in Australia, Mark Dramoth, who tried housing Quails and Zebras. The quails killed all the Zebra babies as soon as they fledged if I remember correctly.

Good luck with your new aviary.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

NeroFly
Pip
Pip

Post by NeroFly » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Oh okay, thanks for the info. They're Japanese Quail, and they are fairly aggressive to each other, so I can see the risk. Maybe come fledging time I can look at putting a false floor in at half height, keeping the quail below...

And, yeah, we're going to put some dense shrubs in there for shade.

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:06 pm

It's beatiful =D>

Japanese quails can be agressive peckers, so, i wouldn't trust them with the fledglings, as Elana mentioned, the adult birds will most likely be ok though.

How cold it gets there in winter time?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:51 pm

NeroFly Love the aviary! Are you located in an area where you have to worry about winter weather?
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:19 pm

NeroFly
Very nice! Can't wait until you post phots of your bird occupants!
Where did you get the "standard 3'x6' Aviary panels? It looks beautiful. Congrats on a great job!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Dramoth
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Dramoth » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:40 pm

We lost a couple of adult birds and pretty much all our fledglings for the last breeding season to the Japanese quail. Was pretty shattered.

They see something fluttering on the ground and think that it's some sort of bug and attack it.

It's a nice aviary NeroFly
Mark

Our Finches and our poodle supply me with an never ending amount of therapy for my stress related depression. Sitting there, throwing the ball for the dog while watching the finches is the best thing ever.

NeroFly
Pip
Pip

Post by NeroFly » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:18 am

Thanks for all your comments.

It sounds like the quail might cause some problems. If I put a 6'x6' platform underneath the nesting boxes, with all the finch food & water above that, might that partially solve the problem?

The winters here are generally mild, but it does sometimes drop below freezing, especially at night. My plan was to build them an insulated roosting box with a few heat pads in there.

NeroFly
Pip
Pip

Post by NeroFly » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:33 am

I also meant to say I have plastic panels to go all round the sides during the winter too, which should keep the wind out.

@Jen the aviary panels are readily available here in the UK, plenty of people making them on eBay, but I bought this kit from these guys, and that gave me most of what I needed:

https://www.4wire.co.uk/Aviary-panels/2 ... 2-x-1-hole

NeroFly
Pip
Pip

Post by NeroFly » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:19 am

Hi all, thanks for all your suggestions above. We've put some energy into landscaping our aviary and we got our first zebra finches in this week.

They seem very happy and we've had no problems so far with the finches and the quail sharing the same aviary (perhaps because we only have female quail?). This has perhaps led to a slight problem in that the zebra finches seem to be spending a lot of time at the quail feeders eating the game feed, rather than eating their own finch food, I hope this is okay!

Anyway, I'll put some more pics in an album soon and post a link so you can see what's going on in there.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 am

NeroFly

Congratulations on the new additions.

I just bet those Zebras are happy in such a nice enclosure :D

Regarding the food, as long as they are happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:13 am

NeroFly

Congratulations on your new little zebras !!! It looks like they are loving that tree !! :) .

Looking forward to more pictures !!
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Beautiful zebs.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm

It's a beautiful aviary but I also have to warn about quail. They are predatory and will kill any bird which doesn't avoid them on the ground, including babies and sick adults.
~Dylan

~~~

NeroFly
Pip
Pip

Post by NeroFly » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 am

Thanks for your input. I'm still keeping a close eye on the quail, but so far, they really aren't bothered by the finches at all.