My new free flight bird room

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: My new free flight bird room

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:24 am

lovezebs

Exactly! I was even thinking go minimal while you break down the cages. No need to take out cages at all at one time.

Stick a temporary tree/branch in the corner, screw some perches into the wall. Break down one cage at a time inside the room.

The birds will perch on the other cages, the wall perches and you can add your permanent items as you break down and remove your flights one at a time while letting the birds inside each cage go free flight.

Your walls look like finished wood or paneling. Easy to wipe poop off of that.

Honey, my parrot sometimes poops on the carpet, and when it dries the vacuum brush shatters it and it vacuums right up. Finch poop I know would be even easier to vacuum.

Get your son to install your screen door, and get that party started. :YMPARTY: A long window curtain panel hung over the doorway in front of the screen door would be a cheap and effective way to block escapees when you open the screen door.

**edit ** If you want to protect the floors, buy a roll of this gorgeous turf and measure, cut and roll it out last when the cages are out and the birds are in free-flight. This would make a bird room look really "natural" IMO https://www.lowes.com/pd/Everlast-Sequo ... 1000018009

You can easily vacuum this as well.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:55 am

lovezebs

Yes that was the hardest part with four flight cages and one small one, but I only have 13 birds. I am guessing you have more cages with almost 100 birds. :) I do not have extra room for bird cages either and had them 4 deep in the middle of my living room while the floors were being done then I bought cages back in and worked from there. Once you take that first step it gets easier from there.
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:59 am

Barbara

Way to go Barbara, Elana you can do it !!! :)

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Babs

Thank you very much ! :) I am looking for a chair that is not too big and that can be cleaned off easily. I am on a mission !! :)

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:07 pm

Babs

You have some great ideas !!! That is how I finished mine, I did half the room let some birds out did the other half and let out the rest. My screen door is put on so it opens towards the inside of the room and it has a spring on it to keep it closed. There are no perches near the door so they stay away from it.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

That's really nice lem2bert!

I had a flight room for 2 and half years at my old place, and it was the coolest.

My room wasn't specially set up for it, but it had indoor/outdoor carpet that I just vacuumed daily and occasionally scrubbed. It stayed clean and presentable with daily attention, though would become a disaster if I skipped a few days.

I hung branches from the ceiling and sometimes the walls from hooks with chains and zipties.

I kept a few cages in the room but normally they stayed open, and I just shut the bird room door at night to keep the birds contained while I was sleeping. During the day, I'd often let them out into the rest of the second floor, where their room was, to fly about and they loved that! I kept a few dishes of seed/pellets around the room on cagetops or shelves and offered a big tray of fresh veggies daily which they flocked to. For a while I kept a 14 inch plant saucer in the middle of the room on a step ladder, and they'd all crowd in there to take their baths when I refreshed it each day, but eventually it got dirty to quick so I switched to tube waterers and put out smaller dishes every few days.

I had finches of all types, canaries, budgies, doves and cockatiels together and they got along, but I found out that cockatiels are a bit destructive for such a setup when mine chewed three quarter-sized holes in the walls one morning trying to make a nest cavity!

Finches and doves and budgies, though, were problem-free for me.
~Dylan

~~~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Sheather

Thank-you very much !

You birds sure must have enjoyed flying from room to room. Mine have not used their bird bath yet, but I am hoping my canaries will use it soon and the others will follow. My canary is usually the first to try anything, but right now he is taking a bath in one of the open water dishes , which he is use to doing :roll: I have a step stool which is higher I am going to try to put the new bird bath on that, thanks for the idea !!

:lol: At least you found the holes before she was able to build a nest in the walls !!! I should not have a problem with just finches and canaries. #:-S

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:45 pm

lem2bert. Babs Love all the ideas.I am going to try to find a small bench to put in my room,I think my computer chair will not work.I love the idea of artficial turf especially under the bird bath (society & waxbills love there bath) also under the fresh food I was using throw rugs in front of there cages that were easy to shake off and throw in washer but I think I would like the look of the artificial turf.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Barbara

OH !!! I do like the idea of turf......and a bench Hmmmm .....I do not think this room will ever be completely done !!!

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:16 am

DSCN2170.JPG
DSCN2206.JPG
DSCN2204.JPG
DSCN2198.JPG
Just thought I would update my earlier post of my bird-room. Unfortunately for my friend who started one with me had to give hers up and put her birds back in cages. She was having a very hard time with getting up and down and climbing to clean as she has bad knees :( . It worked out for both of us as she gave me her 3 artificial trees, frog bird-bath and 3 pairs of wax-bills as a trade for 2 societies and 3 cages.

Over the last few months as easy as it is to clean have found ways to make it even easier :D Where ever my birds perch I put down paper and just pick it up sweep, wash and put back down or replace whichever it needs !!!

I am posting a few pictures as I had to add the artificial trees as the real trees lost all their leaves :( It would not be a good idea to replace the real ones as in this area of NE the leaves are turning and dropping :( . Summer is over..... :(
DSCN2183.JPG

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:55 pm

lem2bert love the pictures especially the one peeking around the tree.Betty so glad the waxbills did get to keep there freedom and I know they have as good as a home as they had with me.Eveything looks Great.The Societies and Zebra girls adjusted fine to being back in flight cages.I only let Clerance (canary)free fly but he has a small cage hanging and goes in all the time to eat and rest on his own.Much easier for me to keep clean so all in all it worked out for us both :D
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:56 pm

UT will be great if you see your finches making nests in the fake tree entirely by just nesting materials and no nest box already made, looks great by the way the trees are awesome
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:57 am

Hi b@lem2bert

Only just seen yer wonderful looking free flight room,

Got one word " Awesome " :-BD

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 am

Barbara@Fraza@Stuart whiting"

Thank-you all very much. My birds are loving it !!

Barbara, yes the birds are doing fine and love all the free flight !! Glad the societies and the zebras are happy back in cages !!! :D

Fraser, the wax-bills actually made a nest in the top part of the trees, unfortunately , the Gouldians tore it apart just as they finished, thank goodness there were no eggs in it yet. It was awesome to watch them make that nest , it was huge for such small birds. It would have been great to see babies from that :(

Stuart, I do not know who enjoys it more, me or my birds. It was enjoyable planning and doing the work :D

eams
Pip
Pip

Post by eams » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:43 am

great job =D> =D> =D>