Building an Aviary...

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Featheredfluffkins
Pip
Pip

Building an Aviary...

Post by Featheredfluffkins » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:30 am

So I've kept finches (gouldians, societies, spices, and zebras) for a few years, and I've decided to build my 11 current finches (spices and societies) an outdoor aviary, both to keep them comfortable and so I might be able to get some more colorful species too :D

It's going to be made out of pvc pipe and will be 10'long by 4'wide by 6' tall (but there will be a double door system so the finches will only have access to a 6' by 4' by 6' area).

I'ts going to only be in use 1/2 -2/3 of the year, as the temperature where I live will go down below 50° the rest of the time.

I can't put in a concrete floor at this time, what's the next best option?

How many finches can I keep in this aviary?

If I get more, what species should I get? A pair of Owl and/or gouldian finches are quite tempting... any others you'd reccomend? I'm not really looking for breeding.

Any other tips?

Thanks so much!!! :mrgreen:

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Building an Aviary...

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 am

Featheredfluffkins

I don't think I'll be much use for the housing, so hopefully I can help with the species.

Owl finches and gouldians should be fine, though some gouldians may have some special requirements (iodine supplements for balding birds, other supplements for moulting, etc).

Since you aren't breeding them, a pair of cordon bleus could be neat. Be careful about keeping male red-cheeked cordon bleus with zebra finches, orange-cheeked finches, or other male cordon bleus due to similar cheek markings. If the bar/screen spacing is small, goldbreasts or orange-cheeked waxbills can be added. Parrot finches are very colorful, but can be quite expensive. I heard that some parrot finches rape other birds (probably won't if they have a mate) and have issues with gouldian finches.

Since the enclosure is large, you could probably get away with a pair of more aggressive birds. Zebra finches and Java finches shouldn't cause many problems. A canary is another possibility, though they are rather asocial and require more care. A pair of small doves could also work, though they tend to be messy eaters and waste quite a bit of food.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm

A few things you might consider for the outdoor portion:
Build the floor of the outdoor cage up, so the birds don't have contact with the soil and so rodents can't tunnel in. The floor could be something like a deck, with wire mesh laying on it. Using 1/2" mesh on the floor and walls is the only way you'll keep rodents out.

(also, over time, soil in an aviary can become disease-ridden.)
Assuming you have the outdoor portion facing sunlight, so the birds get the benefit of that, a solid roof will help keep native birds from contacting your birds. Native birds can carry disease and insects that you don't want.
Use a good quality mesh. Something that rabbit breeders would use. http://www.klubertanz.com/ Squirrels, rodents, possums, raccoon, cats, mink--they'll all try to get in.
Have a way to close the opening between the outdoor area and the inside area, so you can protect them from bad weather.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Featheredfluffkins

That sounds like a wonderful project and I'm sure your birds will love it.

I can't give any building advice, but when it comes to species I could make a few recommendations.

Gouldians and Owls should be fine (as long as you get them from someone who keeps his/her birds in an outdoor Aviary). If not, they will have to be acclimated slowly to the great outdoors; bringing them out for short periods of time, and slowly making these periods longer.

The same I would say goes for most birds really.
Birds who are kept indoors in constant controlled temperatures of say around 22C--70F, might need a slow introduction to fluctuating temperatures, sun, wind, rain, warmer temps, colder temps. etc.

Are you planning on an enclosed, or partially enclose area where they can shelter from bad weather? I would recommend an area like that.

Now to different species...

A male Canary, would add both colour and song to any collection, and one male would be quite content on his own.

Javas are lovely looking birds and come in different colour mutations.

Zebras, come in many different colour mutations, and as long as you don't get a large flock, they should be ok in a large aviary. In greater numbers, they can become a bit.... shall we say overwhelming, lol.

Stars, are colourful and peaceful.

One thing I am wondering is, once Winter comes, do you have indoor space for these newcommers?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Featheredfluffkins
Pip
Pip

Post by Featheredfluffkins » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 pm

lovezebs wrote: Featheredfluffkins

That sounds like a wonderful project and I'm sure your birds will love it.

I can't give any building advice, but when it comes to species I could make a few recommendations.

Gouldians and Owls should be fine (as long as you get them from someone who keeps his/her birds in an outdoor Aviary). If not, they will have to be acclimated slowly to the great outdoors; bringing them out for short periods of time, and slowly making these periods longer.

The same I would say goes for most birds really.
Birds who are kept indoors in constant controlled temperatures of say around 22C--70F, might need a slow introduction to fluctuating temperatures, sun, wind, rain, warmer temps, colder temps. etc.

Are you planning on an enclosed, or partially enclose area where they can shelter from bad weather? I would recommend an area like that.

Now to different species...

A male Canary, would add both colour and song to any collection, and one male would be quite content on his own.

Javas are lovely looking birds and come in different colour mutations.

Zebras, come in many different colour mutations, and as long as you don't get a large flock, they should be ok in a large aviary. In greater numbers, they can become a bit.... shall we say overwhelming, lol.

Stars, are colourful and peaceful.

One thing I am wondering is, once Winter comes, do you have indoor space for these newcommers?
I have room for when winter comes, I'm building an indoor aviary as a starter project to work up to building the outdoor one :D

What would you suggest as a outdoor shelter?