My Flight Cage

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

My Flight Cage

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:00 pm

My dad and I built a flight cage last year. It is approximately 4' x 1.5' x 4.5' tall. Details are in the photos below:
Attachments
.<br /><br />Water dish is a modified hummingbird feeder. The cover was taken off of the base so birds can bathe, and the container was replaced with a liter soda bottle. A fruit container covered with a page protecter helps keep the droppings out of the water.<br /><br />The sand below the water dish is scooped out and put in the center of the cage to dry and then replaced with dry sand from elsewhere every few days. This prevents mildew from growing.<br />.

Water dish is a modified hummingbird feeder. The cover was taken off of the base so birds can bathe, and the container was replaced with a liter soda bottle. A fruit container covered with a page protecter helps keep the droppings out of the water.

The sand below the water dish is scooped out and put in the center of the cage to dry and then replaced with dry sand from elsewhere every few days. This prevents mildew from growing.
.<br /><br />Gravity feeders for Sunburst mineral grit and Quiko eggfood are kept on a platform in the center of the cage.<br />.

Gravity feeders for Sunburst mineral grit and Quiko eggfood are kept on a platform in the center of the cage.
.<br /><br />Sand before and after sifting. If the sand starts smelling, vinegar clears up the problem.<br />.

Sand before and after sifting. If the sand starts smelling, vinegar clears up the problem.
.<br /><br />Large hopper feeder holds 1-2 weeks of Pennington birdseed. Also proof that there is hardly any way to stop birds from pooping all over everything.<br />.

Large hopper feeder holds 1-2 weeks of Pennington birdseed. Also proof that there is hardly any way to stop birds from pooping all over everything.
.<br /><br />The entire flight; holds all eight of my birds (gouldians are currently separated for breeding). The branches are replaced every few months (currently using wax myrtle). <br /><br />Screws in the plywood back can support nest boxes with drilled holes.<br /><br />The front panel is a sliding door and the top supports a tube light and heat lamp. Moist food is offered on the ground.<br />.

The entire flight; holds all eight of my birds (gouldians are currently separated for breeding). The branches are replaced every few months (currently using wax myrtle).

Screws in the plywood back can support nest boxes with drilled holes.

The front panel is a sliding door and the top supports a tube light and heat lamp. Moist food is offered on the ground.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: My Flight Cage

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Icearstorm

Looking good.

Is that glass or screen on the front?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:50 pm

lovezebs
It's 1/4" square hardware cloth. It should be able to contain goldbreasts or other small waxbills if I ever get them.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Icearstorm

If.... ???

You've got the bug my friend, lol.

I see more finches in your future... :wink:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:13 pm

lovezebs
You may be right :D

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 pm

I would include more branches and cover, it looks very exposed and all that space near the top is wasted.
~Dylan

~~~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Sheather

They spend a few minutes each day flying from side to side near the top, so I don't want to interfere with that flight path.

Are fake plants easy to clean? They would demolish live plants, but should leave fake ones alone. I could either add some fake plants to the top right corner or put a baffle above the hopper feeder and some branches above. Any fake plants would have to be the vine type to deter nesting.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Icearstorm

What an amazing job you and your Dad did =D> Your birds look very content and must really enjoy all the flying space !! Very clever idea with the recycled hummingbird feeder base. I love to see all the ideas members have for housing their birds . Thank-you very much for sharing :D
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 am

Plastic fake plants can be easy to clean, don't get the silk/cloth ones.
Plastic ones you can take down and soak and slosh clean in a bucket.
The silk/cloth ones often come unglued in the water, and all the leaves fall off.
If you put a branch at either end near the top, they could still fly the length, but have a place to land at either end. Some of my birds also seem to like perching on loops of plastic vines, like a swing.
You have a big, beautiful space there, your birds are so lucky!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:04 am

Gracie85
Thank you; I'll be on the lookout for some plastic plants.
The society finches often land on the side of the screen and stay there for a minute, but the Java finches don't seem to like clinging to it as much. Perhaps a wider branch at the front right near the top would allow the birds to perch without soiling the hopper feeder as much.

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Icearstorm
that is a great aviary. You guys have done a great job with dad.
And you are right, I would keep it just like that because the more perches or branches you add the less exercise the birds will get.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Update:

Added some plants. The magnolia is dried out and needs to be replaced, but the ferns should be okay for a bit.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Plastic around back of water dispenser to keep leaves out
Plastic around back of water dispenser to keep leaves out
Flower pot filled with composted soil; ferns should absorb water birds splash out
Flower pot filled with composted soil; ferns should absorb water birds splash out

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Awesome flight cage!! Well done!!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Flight Feathers
Thank you!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:08 am

Icearstorm wrote: Flight Feathers
Thank you!
:D
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds