Rainy in the aviary

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

Rainy in the aviary

Post by Dbearden » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:51 pm

I am in the Houston area and we are experiencing the effects of Hurricanr Harvey.
My aviary is enclosed with solid walls, but with a screened roof. There are a few places the finches can get out of rain. But for the most part, considering very wet weather for an extended period, would it be adviseable to leave on my lamp (Avian Sun light)?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Rainy in the aviary

Post by lovezebs » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Dbearden

I would recommend putting a solid roof over your aviary for a couple of reasons.

First of all rain, as you've already found out.

Secondly, droppings from wildbirds, which can carry all sorts of disease.

Regarding a warm lamp, if the weather is cold , wet, and windy, then I would definitely offer them some warmth.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 am

The ground is going to stay wet, accumulate water for long periods... yes a roof, even if temporary (plywood)(metal) would be advisable... seed, food, droppings on the ground will get moldy. Keep the food and water supply under a sheltered area... drier the better.Check nests too, make sure young are staying dry... avoid soft foods use dry egg foods.

Once things dry out also suggest you treat for cocci and internal parasites preventatively....

We are in Florida, lots of seasonal rain, days of rain...the ground does not dry out and issues can start.

Stay safe....

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:19 am

I believe it is ok for to birds to get soaked, but I don't want my birds to sleep wet. I have noticed that certain species of finches like to sleep in the open. Especially gouldians. that is why I have completely covered my aviaries. Last year I covered an aviary's roof with a clear plastic sheet for a while. It worked well for a while, the birds could get the full effects of the sun, and stayed dry. Like Cindy said, bacteria thrive in hot, wet earth. Try and get some builders lime and mix it into the top layer of the soil of your aviary. It will change the alkalinity of the soil and prevent bacteria from developing in the soil. Also treat for cocci with esb3 or something similar when the earth is starting to dry.
Marius

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:06 pm

We have several different products here in the states to treat for cocci.... caution needs to be used some you can not use with young in the nest. Safest is tri sulfa by med pet is one we suggest.... it is gentle for chicks.... typically two weeks treatment time.

The rain coming down with hurricanes can be like a sheet of water... we see this during our afternoon storms here in Florida... you can not see what is out in the distance, the next yard away the rain comes down so hard..... birds definitely need cover, shelter from the wind and rain...

Some bird like to spread their wings and bathe in light rain. Like a misting!!!!!

Also suggest bottled water if your water supply to your home has been compromised

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Dbearden Hope you are safe, the Houston area is being clobbered with record amounts of rain! Is there any way you could catch up your birds and bring them in the house (or garage)? This amount of rain is so far from normal, I wouldn't think it would be good for your finches.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org