Stress Perches

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Stress Perches

Post by mick1933 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi I want to make a set or two of stress perches for the aviary I am putting together. Have seen photographs of them on the internet but I want to know how far apart are the walls of each compartment. I was thinking if they are too far apart they would not be effective as other birds would be able to get in there with them and if not far enough apart some birds may not be able to fly into the compartment. Thanks.
Last edited by Sally on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title from all caps to normal type.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: STRESS PERCHES

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:27 pm

I made several out of 3/8" plywood. 1/4" would probably work just as well. Easy to make.
The whole thing is 9 3/4" long. That length was so that metal mirror clips on each end would align with the roof bars of cages. That length gives 2 compartments. You may want longer for more compartments. Just plan the length so that hanging from roof wires is easy.

Sides and divider are 5x5" with a half inch side-to-side dowel perch set 1 1/2" from the front and about that much above the bottom edge. This gives plenty of room for their tails.

I put a back on it for maximum security so that the only opening is out the front or below [for droppings].

The compartments are roughly 4 1/2 " wide each and this lets 3 and occasionally 4 Gouldians cosy up for the night or just to get away. Some used it, mostly youngsters, some didn't.

Good to see the declining # of budgies.
I'm going the other way and have just bought a sky blue cock and a stunning light grey spangle hen. Still looking for more. English budgie show and auction in3 weeks.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:14 am

mick1933

Most of the stress perches I've seen have a perch of around two and a half inch length, but that's just going by looking at them, not an actual measurement.

There are some smaller species, that like to buddy up together in two's, so that gives them enough room to do so.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 am

Elana:
Could be. 2 1/2" seems a bit tight for me. Around 4" works very well for gouldians perching in twos, threes and occasionally four if stacked up on each other. Smaller than that also becomes fiddly woodworking.