SAND ETC ON CONCRETE FLOOR.

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

SAND ETC ON CONCRETE FLOOR.

Post by mick1933 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi. My aviary is 13 feet long by 8 feet wide and fully enclosed. It has a concrete floor as it was an old budgie aviary. I have read it is suggested one should put sand or straw etc on the concrete floor of finch aviaries. I was thinking of putting a piece of 3 inch by 2 inch timber on the floor 4 feet in from the back and filling this back portion with sand and leaving the front half concrete. Do you think this would work OK. Also is there any particular sand I should use. I am almost finished remodelling my aviary and started setting it up. Regards.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: SAND ETC ON CONCRETE FLOOR.

Post by isobea » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:22 pm

mick1933 - Hi, I have a 16 foot long aviary which I built in 1989. It also has a concrete floor and I have always used play sand to cover it. Easy to keep clean and exchange for new sand. If the layer is thick enough (between half an inch and an inch), you can usually just sweep it up when it's time to replace it. I've never had a problem with it.
If you leave the concrete floor bare, the droppings will really stick to it and will be more difficult to remove.
Hope this helps,
Iso

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Re: SAND ETC ON CONCRETE FLOOR.

Post by mick1933 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks Iso for the info. Regards Mick
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.