Strange male zebra finch behaviour at night!!

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Liz
Hatchling
Hatchling

Strange male zebra finch behaviour at night!!

Post by Liz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi all,

I hope someone will be able to help, I have a male and female zebra pair and they currently are nursing two chicks and doing a brilliant job. But about two nights ago my male zebra has started acting strange at bed time. They both usually go to bed around 7pm but the past few nights my male is not getting in the nest??

He has been dancing around the top of the nest and then settling down and sleeping on his own. My female is sleeping in the nest with the two babies no problem. I’m not sure why my male is doing this?? Is he protecting the nest at night? Or is there no spa cue for him to fit? He does a strange little dance on top of the nest and then just settles on top and goes to sleep. But he’s not settling until about 11pm and I feel so sorry for him.

I hope someone has an idea of what’s going on, I’m so worried.

Elizabeth x

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Strange male zebra finch behaviour at night!!

Post by lem2bert » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Liz

I am not an expert on Zebra finch behavior during incubation, but there are many members on this forum that have a lot of experience. If you look to the left of the page at the top you will see a title (Finch information center) I think you will be more relaxed after reading it. Is their cage in a private location or is it in a very busy area of your house ?
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Liz
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Liz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Thank you for your reply!

I will have a look incase there is any information for me that will help.

My cage is in a quiet area of the house and I’ve not had any problems with their sleeping until now. I’ve had them since February of this year. I’ve covered the cage with a thin piece of fabric incase he gets a little chill because he’s sleeping on his own.

X

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:08 pm

This is normal. With zebras, the male will normally stop nest-sleeping as the babies get their feathers, instead sleeping just outside or above the nest.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Liz

As was mentioned, normal behavior.

Once the chicks grow more feathers, they can keep themselves and eachother warm, and both parents will at that point sleep outside the nest.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Liz
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Liz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Oh brilliant! Thank you so much!

I love this forum!

I was so worried about him sleeping on his own but now I know he'll be fine, just being a normal little finch!

Thank you all for your help everybody I really appreciate it.